iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat belt supplier

Started by Ikemonroe, May 17, 2015, 05:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikemonroe

Im trying to find a place to buy a 6'' woven flat belt but with no luck. I was hoping one of you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Ike.M

tmarch

Try your implement dealer, not sure if a hay baler belt will work, but maybe.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

rwepinetree

There is a place I Worcester Ma. it is called Hudson belting on East Worcester st I don't know the number but it must be in the phone book

Ron Wenrich

When I was using flat belts, I would get them from the local farm dealer.  You may also want to check with you sawmill supplier for a source, or go directly to a sawmill builder like Frickco or Meadows or the like.

We bought conveyor belts from a local bearing distributor.  Those are rubberized and a little too grabby for a circle mill.  They may also have a source. 

TSC has 4" and 7" baler belting.  It looks to be rubberized.  I wonder if a 4" rubber belt couldn't replace the 6" belt.  Just a thought.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ikemonroe

I have tried baler belt. its running a planner head so it really needs to be the woven canvas belting.
Ike.M

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ikemonroe

thanks for the leads guys I checked with The Harry s Schell co. they had what i was looking for. maby Ill get some planing done this week after all.   8)
Ike.M

beenthere

Also McMaster.com
http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=x865r2

Good to see the Harry S. Schell Co. out of Blue River still "in business".  Harry was a master at hammering saw blades back in the day. And a real character worth a stop for a visit anytime while travelling southern WI.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ox

Why is a woven belt better than a rubberized one?  Seems like you'd want grabby vs. slippy?  I'm just trying to learn something.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ron Wenrich

I don't have any experience with a planer, but on a sawmill, it caused a jerky condition.  I pulled on the handle and nothing would happen until it grabbed, then the carriage shot forward at a speed you didn't want.  Back off, and it was too slow or would stop.

With woven belts, you can get them too loose or slick that they don't want to grab quite right.  We had belt dressing to put on them, which was a stick of something.  Could have been beeswax.  Everything would work fine after that.

I figured this was for a sawmill.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ox

Right - I completely understand the reasoning of what you said on a mill and I've heard of beeswax being used for grip on worn cloth belts.  I was asking because I would think on a planer you would want total grip and no slip.  Maybe the cloth belts would slip if something in the planer locked up, to hard a feed, etc. and the rubber ones would cause damage from too much grip?
I can see the problem with rubber on carriage drives.
Have you ever tried leather?  I think that's what they started out on way back when.  Cost a fortune now I bet...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

oros35

I went to see the local Amish to get my belts for my Frick.  Cheaper than everywhere else I saw.  Less than half of what Frickco wanted.  Made on the spot to my specs while I waited.

I use a mix of belt dressing and dirt.... to get the motion I wanted.  Just the belt wasn't grabbing enough, a little belt dressing in a bottle was way too much.  Tossed some fine dirt on it and it made a good combo of stick and slip.  Probably will have to adjust a little once they break in but one bottle of belt dressing will last my lifetime and got plenty of dirt!

bandmiller2

In A pinch I have used the old style fabric fire hose for belting, being phased out now may be hard to find. Most depts. will give you the overage hose. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Alligator

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Ikemonroe

Quote from: Ox on May 17, 2015, 09:09:36 PM
Why is a woven belt better than a rubberized one?  Seems like you'd want grabby vs. slippy?  I'm just trying to learn something.
Woven belts seem to have more friction and not slip like a rubber belt, atleast in this application.
Ike.M

Thank You Sponsors!