iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1978 clark 664

Started by vatkins, May 17, 2015, 06:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vatkins

Hi everyone, I'm new to here and the new owner of a Clark 664 skidder. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, do'd and don'ts about this machine? Can chains be ran on the front tires? I noticed there's on about 1" of clearance between the blade arm and tire? How well do the rear ends hold up? looks like the axle housing have all been welded on the outer ends which leads me to think i should beef them up before using. Thanks again for advice

rockwall

You will soon learn that there are a few of us on here that love the 664s. I own a 1977 and am really impressed with what work they can do. Parts are available and guys with all kinds of knowledge about them. Welcome.

mad murdock

Welcome vatkins.  I havent owned a 664 but i have ran one in the woods a fair bit. They are a wood getting animal! The one i ran had a 353 Detroit and an Allison auto trans in it. It was real stable and was an awesome machine! Update your location in your profile, you may well discover a few FF members nearby.  :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treeslayer2003

Quote from: mad murdock on May 17, 2015, 09:30:03 AM
Welcome vatkins.  I havent owned a 664 but i have ran one in the woods a fair bit. They are a wood getting animal! The one i ran had a 353 Detroit and an Allison auto trans in it. It was real stable and was an awesome machine! Update your location in your profile, you may well discover a few FF members nearby.  :)
allison? i bet not. only ever seen them with a clark power shift.

op most clark rears i have seen have that weld on them from factory. they are very durable as long as you keep them full of grease and don't winch with a tire against a tree.
much stronger than the rockwell rears. be sure and check the planetary s, they will not get lube from the rear.

oldseabee

Keep the planetaries and the axle diff full, the oil will transfer back and forth so have the machine level when checking the oil.

vatkins

The axle housings are good then? They look smallish as if a solid bump could break the wheel off. The hydraulic break has been torched off the drive shaft and the caliper is missing. I plan on machining a plate, welding it to the drive shaft and bolting a rotor to it off a common pickup then configuring the caliper mounting. The master cylinder is there. How are they to rebuild?   My other big concern is that the front tires are so close to the blade arms that I cant run front chains. does that sound normal? The dish in the rims are on the widest setting. The Skidder is missing studs on all wheels (1 or 2) per wheel. The left front has 2 missing because the plate that holds the studs is broken. Is that cast or steel? or how could I fix that? I'm good at welding and machining if that helps. Thanks again everyone

treeslayer2003

Quote from: vatkins on May 17, 2015, 08:10:01 PM
The axle housings are good then? They look smallish as if a solid bump could break the wheel off. The hydraulic break has been torched off the drive shaft and the caliper is missing. I plan on machining a plate, welding it to the drive shaft and bolting a rotor to it off a common pickup then configuring the caliper mounting. The master cylinder is there. How are they to rebuild?   My other big concern is that the front tires are so close to the blade arms that I cant run front chains. does that sound normal? The dish in the rims are on the widest setting. The Skidder is missing studs on all wheels (1 or 2) per wheel. The left front has 2 missing because the plate that holds the studs is broken. Is that cast or steel? or how could I fix that? I'm good at welding and machining if that helps. Thanks again everyone
lets just say i prefer clark axles over any other. they are not small or weak, its just that the hub is big and makes the tube look small.
most older skidders with the drum brake have it removed as it is a fire hazard. you are right on track imo on the rotor caliper set up, its open so debris don't collect in it as bad.
some of the newer tires as well as ag tires seem to be wider, same thing happened when i put newer tires on mine......i don't run chains so no help to ya there.
the hub may be cast steel, not sure on that, it could be iron. the studs can be replaced with out removing the wheel. take off the nut on the back side of the hub and knock the broken one out through the wheel. install a new one in the reverse then put on the wheel nut.
you could prolly use any master cylinder with some bracket fabrication.

vatkins

Thanks for the reassurance that the Axles are tough. I'll try to get pictures up of the skidder when I get it home. I like keeping everything fixed up and working right hence the questions. Im gonna have to figure out how to run chains on the front for the steep ground I'll be on. Hope this is allowed, my cell # is 802 349 3993. I can send pic's much easier with it and like text better than use the computer. sad i know.  Thanks again for all advice and i'm sure by the sounds I'll fall hard for this Skidder :)

so il logger

I would not throw my cell number out there like that, If a you think a member may be able to help you more by talking one on one then I recommend sending a P.M. to said member and offer your phone number that way. Just saying because this is a open forum and anyone can see your post's. BTW where are you located? Oh and welcome to the forum  :)

vatkins

So I've finally got my the 664 B home !!! I removed the blade-steering lever and made new chrome plated bushing for the B1616 needle bearings to ride on and drilled and tapped for a 1/4 28 grease fitting so the bearings are now grease able! Then I got to looking. I went to see another 664B to. 3 of the axle tubes on the skidder I have have indeed been broke. The front axle has been broke out of the cradle once and rewelded. both blade arms have been broke in half and reweleded to. The axles have been welded back together just behind the shield for the hub seal. I also went ahead and pulled the plugs on the planetary 's and discovered the right front covered with metal. I pulled the center cap and discovered a bent washer between it and the end of the axle. then pulled the other front cap. wow totally different but looks right. looks like some replaced the piece the goes in the cap with a washer of some kind. I can thankfully machine the cap and fix it up with a heavier thrust plate if thats what its called? wondering about specs on that? more bad news is that some bolts were missing in the outer ring of bolts and further inspection told me they are welded in and the hub and (not sure what the piece is called) but the bolts go thur it are welded together.  Thank god I can machine. I also learned the lever between your legs is to put the transmission in neutral . mine has been cut off flush with floor pan and the linkage is gone.   I'll keep posting progress or findings. Hopefully I can figure out posting pictures. I'll bring this skidder back !

treeslayer2003

not 100% sure what your talking about........the axle tube has been welded or the axle inside has been welded? the planetary has been welded to the hub? wow.

that lever is not how you put it in neutral, it is how you put the machine in travel range. every clark i ever saw it is disconnected because it is almost impossible to control the machine at the speed it run in travel range and some people just have to try it. you have neutral in every trans selector lever, directional and hi/lo.

rockwall

If you go to the HOME page of this Forum and scroll down to almost the bottom of the page you will see some very good instructions " How to post Photos".

vatkins

Today I remachined the planetary cover where the thrust plate sits for the axle. I made a new thrust plate/washer and pressed it into place. I tried to to bolt the cover back on and discovered the reason why someone had put a thin washer in the place of the thrust plate. The cover doesn't match the other 3. So now I need to remove the new thrust plate and counter bore the cover another .200 thousands deeper. 3 covers have only one plug in the them and the odd one has 2 plugs, one in the center and one just below. Has anyone ever seen the outer ring of bolts broke, missing or drilled out bigger that hold the planetary's in the hub? one hub is all 1/2'' bolts another is all 3/4 bolts and the fronts are 1/2" 5/8", 3/4 or mostly broke and welded instead. I was able to get the winch lever control all rebushed and made new linkage for it!

John Woodworth

One thing I would pay attention to if I where you is the brake hydraulics, had the engine die on a triple 6 and the brakes went out and down the hill it went backwards, fortunately a tree stopped it, check an referbish the brake hydraulics just to be on the safe side.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

treeslayer2003

Quote from: vatkins on June 04, 2015, 11:05:40 PM
Today I remachined the planetary cover where the thrust plate sits for the axle. I made a new thrust plate/washer and pressed it into place. I tried to to bolt the cover back on and discovered the reason why someone had put a thin washer in the place of the thrust plate. The cover doesn't match the other 3. So now I need to remove the new thrust plate and counter bore the cover another .200 thousands deeper. 3 covers have only one plug in the them and the odd one has 2 plugs, one in the center and one just below. Has anyone ever seen the outer ring of bolts broke, missing or drilled out bigger that hold the planetary's in the hub? one hub is all 1/2'' bolts another is all 3/4 bolts and the fronts are 1/2" 5/8", 3/4 or mostly broke and welded instead. I was able to get the winch lever control all rebushed and made new linkage for it!
what your saying dosen't make much sense to me......they should all be 1/2" bolts. pics would make this easier.

vatkins

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 05, 2015, 12:47:04 AM
Quote from: vatkins on June 04, 2015, 11:05:40 PM
what your saying dosen't make much sense to me......they should all be 1/2" bolts. pics would make this easier.

vatkins

Hey guys I guess I just don't get this site and posting pics. I managed to get a gallery but that's it. The instruction video was blurry and no help to me. I'm slow on the computer but usually good with my I-phone. I can send pics with it if anyone wants but am not sure on rules of trading #'s. Mine is in a earlier post thou n I'd be happy to send pic that way. I'll keep trying to get what ever it is I'm missing but am ready to forget it soon. Today I pulled the master cylinder, the rear drive shaft so I can machine a plate to mount a rotor and pulled the parking brake, rebuilt it and put it back. Also changed a hose. Noticed the bearing is wiped in the bottom fair leed roll so looks like I'll be making a new roll 😷

celliott

Vatkins, I noticed from your cell # you're in Vermont. Whereabouts?
Welcome to the forum, always good to see more Vermonters on here.

You already got the pictures into your gallery, it's easy to post them here now. Go to the picture in your gallery, and below the picture there is a line of code you can copy and paste into the "reply" box.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

treeslayer2003

vatkins i wouldn't worry to much about the welded axle tubes, that looks fine. not sure what caused the axle to wear into the planetary cap. it looks like in one pic the hub is broke out and a couple lug bolts won't be there.....how many? two wouldn't stop me, three or more would concern me.

vatkins

I'm located in Lincoln vt. I do maching and fabricating for the a A Johnson lumber co. The Skidder came out of NH. Near Keene. The planetary cap that was wearing is slightly different than the other 3. It's longer in the center by about .200" I'm going to trim it down in the lathe and it should be fine. I'm missing 2 lugs in the hub. I'm thinking the hub is a cast steel?  I can easily fix it with some welding and maching if so. The hard thing is that someone welded the planetary's out plate to the hub.😪 that's fixable to but will take me hours to get apart . Is the master cylinder worth rebuilding? Also how pricey are packing kits for the steer cylinders? I thought of pulling them and ordering separate seals via dimensions if kits are to pricey. The parking brake had new shoes in it but we're never placed on the pins so they were just sitting there doing nothing. I've never had one apart but thought it was pretty simple to see how they should go in.

treeslayer2003

i would just match the seals, they are not special. can you take a pic of the planet cap? i never seen any one weld that.......why would they? i dunno if steel or iron, i would guess steel.

vatkins

I try to post the pic. Still struggling 😡
Filename: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/39875/image~10.jpg
       (1)    (0)   

beenthere

Pics are in your gallery, so doing fine.
Now just put them in your post by being in your post and clicking on the blue line below, then on the "my gallery" tab in the menu, then click on your pic (it will enlarge), then scroll down below your pic for the "insert image in post", say "yes" and it is there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rockwall

treeslayer2003

Quote from: vatkins on June 06, 2015, 02:15:25 PM
I try to post the pic. Still struggling 😡
Filename: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/39875/image~10.jpg
       (1)    (0)
whats welded? the cover is off. you know some holes are threaded and for pulling the planetary right?

Thank You Sponsors!