iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions needed (Woodmaster molder/planner)

Started by Dulowry, May 16, 2015, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulowry

Folks, I am considering buying a woodmaster machine. I am looking for imput from current owners as well as owners of similar machines. I like the idea of being able to do severial things with one machine/investment but in doing that I relize to may be a jack of all things but not master any. I also would like to note we have several sponsors on this forum and would like to hear if any of them offer this type of tooling.

woodmills1

My woodmaster planes very well, it does require a dust collector.  I used a belsaw before ( i still have it) and it served me well for years.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jssmitch

I have a woodmaster 518.  I have had it for several months but just got it set up completely in a new building.  I have cut two sides, and have done some planning with it thus far.  I am very pleased with the machine.  I am fixing to start some 6" log siding in a few weeks.  The response from the woodmaster team is very good, very pleased all around.
Jessie David Mitchell
USN Retired
Homemade band mill/Bought TK1400

pineywoods

I have a woodmaster 518, have had it several years. Good machine, I have most of the options except the router mount on the outfeed table. woodmaster support is excellent, and they stock parts and just about any kind of tooling you could want.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gfadvm

I have an 18" Woodmaster planer that works as advertised. The 5 HP motor is a beast. It is a little slow when you have a lot to plane. The company is excellent to deal with and I have gotten parts much quicker than expected.

Geeg

I was wondering if anyone uses it to rip blanks for molding or flooring and if so how many blades can you get on it. If you had a 12" wide board could you say put 3 rip saws on to cut the board into 3 blanks? or should I just go with a straight line rip saw.

Geeg
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

DR_Buck

Quote from: pineywoods on May 16, 2015, 08:32:48 PM
I have a woodmaster 518, have had it several years. Good machine, I have most of the options except the router mount on the outfeed table. woodmaster support is excellent, and they stock parts and just about any kind of tooling you could want.

I have the same setup, almost.   The in-feed and out-feed tables are well worth the cost and save so much time when planning.   I also have the spiral head cutter which gives you a smoother cut and allows a much faster feed rate.    I'm thinking about adding the 3 sided option with the routers.   I may be doing some flooring in the near future and it will sure help.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

Quote from: Geeg on May 17, 2015, 09:16:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses it to rip blanks for molding or flooring and if so how many blades can you get on it. If you had a 12" wide board could you say put 3 rip saws on to cut the board into 3 blanks? or should I just go with a straight line rip saw.

Geeg

I do this with 4 rip blades.  I always rip off both outside edges of boards.   Unless you have a good straight edge  from the mill you will most likely only get 2 good boards with 3 blades.

Geeg

I do this with 4 rip blades.  I always rip off both outside edges of boards.   Unless you have a good straight edge  from the mill you will most likely only get 2 good boards with 3 blades.

Thanks for the info DR_Buck,

So would you say it does a better and a more accurate job than a edger?. If you rip off both outside edges than I guess you are not using the fence as a guide? does it hold a true line.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

DR_Buck

Quote from: Geeg on May 17, 2015, 12:29:33 PM

Thanks for the info DR_Buck,

So would you say it does a better and a more accurate job than a edger?. If you rip off both outside edges than I guess you are not using the fence as a guide? does it hold a true line.

Generaly if you feed straight, it will feed through straight.   I do use  the side fence as a guide but it is not really doing much.    As I don't have an edger I don't know if it is more accurate.  But I do know when the boards dry, the sides can become 'unstraight'.

Thank You Sponsors!