iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blades

Started by Bruno of NH, May 15, 2015, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Ordered 2 woodmizer 4 degree bands to try on my mill today .
I'm hope they work better for me on the spruce I have been sawing .
If I like them I will buy a box and use the re-sharp service .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ocklawahaboy

I have not sawn spruce.  I do like the 4 degree bands, especially for harder woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think you will like them Bruno. I now use them for every species.
Keep in mine, the 4° degree is not a license to speed,  :D.....every degree blade has there limitations.
But you will learn them and love them.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

What Spruce are you sawing?
I have sawed Adirondack Red spruce with no problems on 10 degree blades.
The plantation grown Norway here in central NYS is another story.
10 degree blades didnt cut it.
It is difficult to saw to say the least, vary wavy boards..
I was suggested by WM to use .055 7 degree blades at very high tension and still had some problems as above.
I now stick to Hemlock and occasionally White pine.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

The spruce is local to my home in NH
I like building with it better than hemlock it splits less and I think it's stronger .
I would like to learn to saw it better  .
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

How big are the spruce you are cutting?

I cut my first Norwegian spruce this week from a stand of overaged Christmas trees I am thinning on my place. All were small and I got about 125 bf of 1X6s 8' long out of 7 small logs. I was using a 10 degree WM blade which had already cut several hundred bf of tulip poplar. I had read the horror stories of cutting spruce but these were the easiest I think I have cut so far. I have a few larger spruce trees to cut when I get an order for them but I was surprised how easy these cut.

I cut another 700 bf or so of poplar and basswood for my next door neighbor yesterday with the same blade before any indications it was getting tired. I finally changed it but only cut one more log with the next blade before we finished. That was probably about the best results I have got out of a blade to date with well over 1,000 bf before changing.

Good luck on the new blades.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

WV
The spruce I'm cutting are 24 inch to 22 inch on the big end .
Jim/Bruno

Chuck White

It's a lot easier to saw good lumber out of an older (bigger) Spruce.

If you don't really believe that, find a log that's around 10" on the butt end, and try it.   :o   ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I hope you are right because the little spruces I cut this week were in the 8-10" diameter range and they were the easiest wood I have cut to date. Not much production but pretty boards and my mill just raced through them. It acted like my horse at feeding time. I'm anxious to go cut some of the 16-20" trees I still have standing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

millwright

I have cut a lot of larger white spruce with 10 degree blades with no big problems

Bruno of NH

Got my 2 new 4 degree bands today from woodmizer .
Ordered last Friday at 3:00 pm they just got here at 6:00 pm that's good service .
Have to wait until Saturday to try them out repairing siding at the condos I take care of .
The pine I'm going to saw has lots of knots hope they work out for me .
Jim/Bruno

fishfighter

What they set up back for the two blades? I need to try other blades on hard wood.

Bruno of NH

FF
$74.00 with the shipping
They had to make them my mills not a woodmizer .
The shipping is what gets ya
Jim/Bruno

fishfighter

Thanks, I might give them a call. I don't have a Woodmizer too.

WH_Conley

Tried some 4 degree blades today on some standing dead White Oak. I was impressed. Tried them on some Yellow Poplar a couple of days back and the travel speed just was not there as with the 10 degree.
Bill

47sawdust

Bruno-
You will like the 4°blades.I have a lot of the dreaded,knotty ,black spruce here.10°blades gave me very wavy cuts.I was ashamed of my work,gave them to my nephew for pig pens,pig's didn't notice.Changed over to the 4° blades and what a difference.I still have an occasional minor wave,but not like before.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

My experience with our local white spruce has been that the smaller stuff saws easy, the wider stuff with knots can give you fits.
Too many irons in the fire

Percy

If you still get waves with the spruce, increase the ste radically compared to hardwood. I set .035 with Sitka spruce. Wide cuts of course.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!