iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member intro and Questions. Crab Apple Root Burl.

Started by meelace, May 15, 2015, 03:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meelace

I have been following the forum for a couple of months now and joined a couple of days ago. I am 35 years old, live in MN I work full time in Law Enforcement, go to grad school and have two little kids (1 and 3). I love the outdoors especially hunting. Over the last few years I have been gaining a interest in wood working and more recently timber framing.  I wasn't planning on posting yet but was asked by my grandmother to cut down a crab apple tree at her house. Which I was pumped about because I love to smoke on my Weber smokey mountain. So I have never looked too closely at the tree but upon further inspection I found that it appears to have a good size root burl. I would say its between 20 and 24 inched in diameter. Well I am wondering if it is worth digging it out? I was also able to get a good load of wood for my smoker.  Thanks for any info. 

mad murdock

Welcome meelace! I have never seen inside a fruitwood burl, you wont know unless you take a look, i would say chances are better than average that you will find it worth the time.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

David-L

Welcome and there is lots of knowledge here on this forum and people willing to share.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!