iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

so I got this log....

Started by rooster 58, May 14, 2015, 08:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I got a load of mixed hardwoods into the yard today. One of the last ones to come off the trailer was a beautiful curl soft maple.

Sooooooooo..... what should I do with it? It's around 18" on the small end, maybe 19. I've thought of f gun stock blanks, but I think they prefer hard maple. I also thought of live edge slabs for mantels and such. Or book match
. Any thoughts or suggestions?

WDH

I don't think that you can mess up anyway you go.  For me, the 4/4 (1 1/8" rough) sells the best. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WIwoodworker

Depends on your market. If it were mine I'd cut 6/4 or 8/4. Probably 8/4 becuase I have a good market for it.
Peterson 9" WPF

4x4American

Definitely saw it.  I wouldn't put it towards firewood  :D
Boy, back in my day..

gimpy

If I wasn't so far away, I'd have suggested you send that kind of junk to me.   ;D
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

rooster 58

Gimpy
      I can send it in pieces to yo ;D

This log is amazing 8) it's extra curly with figure showing on the entire log. I should probably saw it into some square stock for wood turners. I think I might still saw a couple stock blanks as I want to make a Pa. Long rifle one day ;)

Glenn1

Any chance you can post a picture for us new guys?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

bama20a

Maybe find a market before you cut it ?
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

GAB

Quote from: bama20a on May 16, 2015, 08:53:00 AM
Maybe find a market before you cut it ?

I agree with the previous comment.
I ended up with 2 curly maple logs once and made a few phone calls.
Ended up quarter sawing the logs for guitar necks.
So do not overlook the musical market.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

rooster 58

I will try to get some pictures of this log to post. I know of a wood working supply store that may want it

Larry

Doesn't take long for maple to stain as the weather warms.  And how long did the logger have it?

I would get it sawed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

rooster 58

Larry
       It's fresh sawn. I plan to saw it this week or next. I took a closer look today. It may have a small amount of ambrosia as well

rooster 58

Update
       I sawed the log yesterday.  Unfortunately there was very little white wood, so there were no gun stock blanks.  But it did produce some very nice 4/4 stock with figure through every cut. And in the end it made a very pretty tie ;)

rooster 58

rooster 58

rooster 58

WDH

Wow.  Incredible.  Wow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Deese

Man that's really pretty  :o
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

rooster 58

Thanks guys! Yesterday I sawed 2 nice ambrosia maples. They're spectacular ;)

Brad_bb

Beautiful for sure!  You called it soft maple.  What kind of maple is that?  I call silver maple soft. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Soft maple is a group of the maples, one of which is silver maple.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!