iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 GM Detroit Block casting

Started by David-L, May 14, 2015, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Was pulling out my starter today after work and happened to notice on the block behind the primary fuel filter a casting in the block that said made in Brasil. Anyone else shed light on this. Always thought Detroits were a GM American motor done in the USA. Still happy with it even if it was casted in Brasil.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Onthesauk

I had a 99 Dodge Ram with a Cummins block made in Brazil.  About 115,000 had casting faults over 2 years, about half have failed.  Cummins replaced mine.  Dodge claims they've heard of the problem, wouldn't honor it. >:( >:(
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

ga jones

Brazilian Detroits are common. 1977-1983. Turbocharged 53 series only
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

Well, ga jones my 353 is a naturally aspirated. thanks for the info on the dates. now the question is , do I get this remy rebuilt or by a gear reduction starter from masco.

jwilly3879

Masco starter made a world of difference on our 353, spins twice as fast and draws way less amps.

About 30 pounds lighter also. We had to open up the holes for the mounting bolts, looks like the holes were for 1/2" bolts, not 5/8's.

ga jones

David What is the serial number stamped on the block. It probably starts 5033-5xxx
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

Ordered a Masco Starter today after driving to NH to supposedly pick up a delco MT30 that was not the right one. 4 hrs wasted time. Masco will be here Wednesday and looks like a easy fit and weighs about 20 lbs. Maybe it will rain and the dust bowl conditions will disappear abit.

OntarioAl

Up here folks stayed away from Brazilian castings as much as possible. they hung on to North American blocks for rebuilding.
Al
Al Raman

David-L

OntarioAl, well seems to start ok and when its time for a replacement motor I am going to pick up a used one and go through it and will keep this info in mind. thanks for the info.

Thank You Sponsors!