iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What makes tight chains jump?

Started by kellysguy, May 14, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

If it was me and your saw has proven to be reliable then I would get a new quality bar and chain combo.  It would be worth it.  I firmly believe the original bar is junk.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

lumberjack48

My stepson just picked of a 2050 Remington bran new. He went out and started cutting firewood, the first thing the chain flew off. He had a heck of a time getting the drivers trued up to get the chain back on. He put it on tighter then it should be, made a few more cuts and it flew off again. This time he was very unhappy, got it back on, after some grinding. This time he over tightened it, or it seemed like it. Hes cut about two cds with it now, with out the chain flying off.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

Some poulan saws have the same bar mount as some Husqvarna saws (I assume the Poulin you have might take a Husky small mount bar??). So if you are in the market for a Husky saw for your "real saw" you might get one with the same mount. That way your Poulan bar would also be a spare bar for your Husky - if that was the case, you might not feel so bad about spending money on a new bar for the Poulan.

I wouldn't let the mount on a Poulan saw (particularly one that has problems) dictate what kind of saw I buy for my real saw, but it's something to keep in mind if you are trying to decide between two otherwise equal saws. If you are changing the sprocket on your Poulan anyway, you might want to consider setting it up for the same type of chain as your "real saw" - then swapping the bar from one to the other would be a breeze.

I think there are other brands that may have the same mount as well, but I'm not as familiar with them. 

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kellysguy

Went out and checked it more, oiler quit working but still turns. Hoping for just a clog but apparently I lost a seal b/w the pump tube and the metal plate.  I need to take a few days away from this thing before I go any further.

kellysguy

Quote from: John Mc on May 16, 2015, 07:44:00 PM
Some poulan saws have the same bar mount as some Husqvarna saws (I assume the Poulin you have might take a Husky small mount bar??). So if you are in the market for a Husky saw for your "real saw" you might get one with the same mount. That way your Poulan bar would also be a spare bar for your Husky - if that was the case, you might not feel so bad about spending money on a new bar for the Poulan.

I wouldn't let the mount on a Poulan saw (particularly one that has problems) dictate what kind of saw I buy for my real saw, but it's something to keep in mind if you are trying to decide between two otherwise equal saws. If you are changing the sprocket on your Poulan anyway, you might want to consider setting it up for the same type of chain as your "real saw" - then swapping the bar from one to the other would be a breeze.

I think there are other brands that may have the same mount as well, but I'm not as familiar with them.

That is a good idea. A rim sprocket is available for this little thing which surprised me. It's all the little stupid incidental things it needs that is killing me. It need $15 in stupid little rubber parts that fell out for whatever reason....that and the handle keeps coming loose. I'd spend $100 to get it tip top if the AV wasn't such junk. The handle and such is flimsy at best.

John Mc

Any time I replace a sprocket on a saw with a spur sprocket, I switch to a rim style if I can get one.

If all it is is a backup saw, maybe a junky AV isn't that big a deal, as long as it's not a safety issue
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kellysguy

I just found the pump seal tat fell out. The problem with the AV is it keeps coming loose. It's not a safety issue as much as it is aggrevating and hard to make accurate cuts. Just plain floppy crap! If it comes loose again I can do something different but there is still more flex in the handle than I care for. The main problem is the pump isn't working now. If I get that going again I may proceed. I just hate to give up on a good running easy starting motor.

It may wind up on a bicycle if this keeps up. ;D

kellysguy

Found a "new" Poulan Pro 5020 that is in excellent condition for $100 so I'll most likely pick that up and use mine for parts.

JohnG28

Unless the saw you have I'd a 5020 most parts likely won't interchange.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on May 15, 2015, 07:25:08 PM
??
Chains "stretch"  ??  Have heard this before. 

Slowly wearing and getting longer, I can see.
But that "stretch" is taken up by adjusting the chain bar as the chain droops. 

What else might a "stretched chain" be?

Is it #1 because the operator just lets the chain droop and doesn't snug it up? But if so, I'd say #1 was operator error. ;)
Nothing else, it is wear in the rivet holes and on the rivets + temporary "stretch" from the metal heating up.

If you have tightened the chain while hot, it is very important to loosen it up again before setting the saw aside. Worst case, it can bend or break the crank when cooling down again.....
Information collector.

Spartan

If you are running a chain that tight that it would break a crank or do damage to a saw when it cools then you ought to reconsider how tight you are running your chain.  No chain should ever be that tight.  Heat stretch is minimal in my experience. 

Especially on a 2-3 inch branch.  Unless the chain is dull and backwards :D

lumberjack48

Quote from: kellysguy on May 17, 2015, 06:33:34 AM
Found a "new" Poulan Pro 5020 that is in excellent condition for $100 so I'll most likely pick that up and use mine for parts.
why buy more problems, don't waste your money on these throw away saws. Save up a little, you can pick up a good 034 for around 300 on eb
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

KiwiBro

Max characters: 300

kellysguy

Boy do those things feel cheap. I like the plastic on my Poulan better, at least it feels like plastic. The stuff the Echos are made outta feels like hard candy. I think I'd opt for a MS 170 or 211 first.

sawguy21

Don't be fooled, Echo is a very good product for a reasonable price. Go to the Search bar and type in Echo for other discussions.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OldJack

kellysguy

Thank You Sponsors!