iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a new Stihl.....

Started by JackedUpDuramax, May 13, 2015, 06:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackedUpDuramax

Hello there. I am looking to buy a new Stihl saw. I have been looking at the Stihl MS 271. I am not sure about if I want it or not. I want a white handle saw because I found them to be the most reliable. I usually cut trees that are 16-20 inch in diameter. I cut and split them and sell the wood. I just need a good saw. What do you guys think of that saw? Are there any maybe cheaper saws that are just as great if not better I should check out? Thank You.
Homelite Super XL, Poland Wild Thing, Craftsman 18" 40cc.

beenthere

I just bought and like the MS362 with 20" bar. Wouldn't desire anything else or expect anything else to be easier to start, and light to handle, with plenty of power.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

What are you looking to spend? ~$400? For the money there most guys would recommend an Echo 590. I haven't run one but a 59cc pro grade saw at that price is attractive. A little more money and I'd say a Husky 365 XT. With a little grinding in the transfer covers it is a 372 XT at a discount price. If you want a Stihl, the white handle doesn't mean anything. Lines have blurred in recent years so they don't mean so much. The 271 is a good firewood saw, do t get me wrong, but you can't judge a saw on it's handle or whatever. The pro line Stihls are great, I have 3 of them, but they're not cheap. A 261 sounds like what you are looking for if you want a pro grade firewood saw around 50cc from Stihl. Happy saw shopping!  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

dougand3

+1 on Echo Cs-590. Best bang for the buck in a pro grade saw.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

kellysguy

Pay attention when looking at box stores. I literally just left HD and they had two USED 590's on the shelf boxed and priced as new.

Straightgrain

Quote from: beenthere on May 13, 2015, 07:02:58 PM
I just bought and like the MS362 with 20" bar. Wouldn't desire anything else or expect anything else to be easier to start, and light to handle, with plenty of power.

X2
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

4x4American

Black handle sithls are beginner saws, white handle stihls are intermediate models, the white and black handles are pro saws.  They sho ams the best.  Any of them are a good choice buy what you can afford.  I spend alot of time behind the 60cc stihl pro saws.  036, 360, 361, 362.  They are real good saws. 
Boy, back in my day..

hackberry jake

Quote from: Straightgrain on May 14, 2015, 07:19:02 PM
Quote from: beenthere on May 13, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

X2
X3
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!