iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber trailer

Started by JHEPP08, May 13, 2015, 01:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

Ok I would like to see what you all use for hauling boards away from the mill so they can air dry etc. I have a couple old wagon running gears . Just want something I can load an unload with forks etc easily

Thanks in advance
Woodmizer LT15

fishfighter

I stack and sticker right off the mill. I use my tractor with forks to lift and move to a new spot and cover.

beenthere

Wagon running gears work very well.  But still need to sticker the lumber to get it to air dry.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JHEPP08

Yea sorry should of said that . I plan on stickering I just meant what do you use? My running gear has nothing so I'll have to fab up something I can fork easy etc ..

Also how or what do you put dry lumber on to store ? I have a controlled environment for it to be in

Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

sealark37

To answer your question, the deck should be long enough to take the longest lumber you plan on producing.  It should be as flat as possible, and should be wider than the wheels.  I assume that you have four-wheel farm undercarriage.  If not, the tongue jack should be rated to hold the loaded trailer.  You need several strong points to secure tie-downs for road travel, even short distances.  Regards, Clark

78NHTFY

...to save time handling boards, I put them right on the forks of my tractor loader from the sawmill, and after sawing 2-3 logs bring the boards to where they are to be stacked--like fishfighter said.  The more I handle lumber, the less I get done. :(  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

fishfighter

At the end of my mill, I have two 8"x8"'x4' that are spread apart about 6'. I stack/sticker on top of them till about 3 1/2' high. I'm able to stack two stacks together, one on top of the other.

On one side of the mill, I have some sawhorses set up for of cut size lumber that I stack up till the end of the day. That is when I cut more stickers.

Areas I store them, I have 6"x6"x 5' set up at about 20" apart. Use tin sheets to cover.

drobertson

Sticker stack and try not to double handle too much, unless you like it ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tmarch

Quote from: 78NHTFY on May 13, 2015, 04:32:54 PM
...to save time handling boards, I put them right on the forks of my tractor loader from the sawmill, and after sawing 2-3 logs bring the boards to where they are to be stacked--like fishfighter said.  The more I handle lumber, the less I get done. :(  All the best, Rob.
The only other thing I do is remove the sawdust before stickering.  I'm a 1 man show most of the time so any time saver is a +.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

fishfighter

[quote
The only other thing I do is remove the sawdust before stickering.  I'm a 1 man show most of the time so any time saver is a +.
[/quote]

Good Lord I have some sawdust moving ahead of me. That is something I haven't done in some time. :D

JHEPP08

Great info. Any pictures of your set up? I'm small more quality then quantity but saving my back an time I'm looking for!
Woodmizer LT15

ladylake

I always though old wagon gear with no bed worked good, the lumber sits on the bunks with plenty of room under to get forks in, not very good for getting around with.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Quote from: ladylake on May 14, 2015, 05:33:07 AM
I always though old wagon gear with no bed worked good, the lumber sits on the bunks with plenty of room under to get forks in, not very good for getting around with.  Steve

That's what we use around here.

We just add a couple of short 2x4's on edge just beyond both ends of the reach, to help with sagging lumber.

We also use the running gear to haul logs!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JHEPP08

Anyone have any pics of their set up?
Woodmizer LT15

Thank You Sponsors!