iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converting to electric... What Horsepower?

Started by chopperdr47, May 12, 2015, 06:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopperdr47

I have an old Frick "0" with a 50" blade right now. I have been using a 190 hp Minneapolis Moline propane engine. Power has not been an issue at all. I am only using 2 C126 belts. If I remember right, in my configuration, that is only transferring about 50 horsepower. I have never had the belts slip and I regularly cut some large hickory.

I am about to get into some much larger production and I want to run a 3 phase electric motor. I currently do not have any hydraulics but a log turner is in the near future.

I know there are some real production guys that can help me here.

Would 75 hp give me enough power for the saw as well as accessory hydraulics?

If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Bill_G

dgdrls

good evening Chopperdr47.

here is a similar thread I replied to with Lundstrums HP computation page linked.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,83135.0.html

DGDrls

dean herring

You should have more than enough power probably more than you had.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

bandmiller2

Chopper, I would say 75 hp would do the deed. I would run the feed and other auxiliaries with separate motors. That would allow you to do most mill function without the saw turning and lessen the startup load. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chopperdr47

Thanks guys. I knew I would get what I needed here.

I found the link to http://ocs.fortlewis.edu/SWCommunityForestry/workshops/Sawmill%20Improvement/data/Presentations%20Articles%20Worksheets/Saw%20issues/How%20to%20Calculate%20Hp.pdf on the other thread that you refereed me to DGDrls. It's a little complicated but I'm going to do the calculations to see how close I am.

I really like the idea of running the saw on its own separate motor. Im going to keep that in mind during the refitting.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Thank You Sponsors!