iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanGit, Here We Go Again

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 09, 2004, 08:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Watching Ivan. It tore up Granada and is headed for Florida. Recorded wind in excess of 200 MPH ??? We are NOT staying here this time. ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Sam

When are they expecting this one to hit? I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to stick around. I don't think I would've for the other two!  :o

jgoodhart

200 mph is alot of wind, you better leave asap. Francis is here right now and is just dumping the rain and the wind isn't strong but it gives the tree that gusting snap them off action and has a few laying around. Don't know how far Ivan is going to chase you but if you make it up to Pa stop in.

slowzuki

I was almost dumb enough to ask if anyone in Fl builds underground houses to escape the storms but realized it is mostly only 30 ft or less above sea level!
Ken

DanG

:D  There are very few houses in Fla that even have basements.  The ones that do have trouble keeping the water out. I'm in the "tall" part of Fla.  My place is at 300 ft and I can usually hit water with a post-hole digger. ::) :D :D

Along the coast, all the houses are now built on stilts(pilings) so the storm surge water can flow under them. Most folks pour a slab under there and use it as a garage. Some put in "blowout" walls for enclosed storage space. These walls are disposable and will break out of the way in a strong surge, letting the water flow and not disturbing the rest of the building.  Yep, things are a bit different down here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

BTW, mandatory evacuations for Ivan have already begun. All mobile home residents in the Keys were ordered out this morning. All Keys residents are to leave by tonight, then all mobile home folks around Miami, tomorrow, etc.  Hopefully this system will avoid some of the traffic problems they've been having. If Ivan comes this way, we will be skedaddling well in advance. Cat 5 ain't nothing to mess around with!

I gotta go work on our little excuse of a motorhome and see if I can get it roadworthy. ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

I'm too tired to leave. ::) ::) Just got done cutting an oak out of a driveway. The senior lady just went to the hospital because she worried about that stinkin tree being moved. :o

What IS it with peolpe today??? Gotta get things cleaned up immediately???  I almost got too hot cutting that tree up. A/C and cold water are finally starting to take effect.  It's HOT.  :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Most folks have forgotten how to live, Harold. There are some things that just aren't worth the aggravation and people don't know how to prioritize them in respect to a non-stressful existence.

I went over to one of my Old-timer's to see if he was OK after the last storm passed.  We were still having rain and a fair amount of wind.  I found him in the front yard raking up leaves. He had already stacked a bunch of limbs by the street but there were still limbs, twigs and leaves falling.  The wind was strong enough that most of the leaves in his yard were coming from up the street and his leaves were blowing to yards down the street.

"What are you doing out in this storm," I asked.  "You need to be inside drinking a cup of coffee".

"I have to get it cleaned up.  It won't clean itself up", he said.

I didn't quite know how to answer so I just said, "Why?"

He looked at me kinda funny and never did give me an answer.

Perhaps storms like this are good for people's morale.  It gives them something to do.  At least something to do that other's will acknowledge.

I"ve gotten a big kick out of watching some of my friends on this road where I live. They are lounging in the front yard and sitting on porch swings visiting with neighbors.  What do they think of the mess?

"I'm going to wait and see if Ivan tears it up any more", says one.

"It'll be there tomorrow, isn't this air cool?", says another.

Somebody had told Grumpy that his cows had gotten out but he couldn't find any missing.  I found him slowly driving down the road in his truck.  Grump's so big he can't get in and out of his truck, so he stays in it all day and just drives up close to what ever he wants to see.  His wife was with him.  She is the sweetest lady.  You can't go to the house but that she has to feed you something and she thinks the sun rises and sets on Grumpy.

We stopped in the road and were having a conversation when some cars came up behind us.  Thinking they needed to get by we pulled off of the road and I climbed out of my truck to go across the road to Grumpy's truck. See, we weren't through talking (visiting) yet. :D

The cars behind me and him, going both ways, pulled off of the side of the road too.  They were just more neighbors.  We all gathered around Grumpy's truck and had a good visit joined by some others that came by headed for town.  I guess we must've stood on the side of the road for an hour and jawed. You would have thought that there had been a big accident or something.  

When we finally broke up, everybody was happy and waving good-bye.  Grumpy had been promised that any cows found in the swamp would be returned to his pasture and, I guess, in some people's minds, we had wasted over an hour of sunlight. :D :D

It just isn't worth it to "make a mountain out of a mole-hill" and get all excited over something that you can't control and don't have to fix.

It is a lot easier, for some, to get get their lower intestinal track in an uproar when they have hired you to do something, even a favor.  It's an ego thing.  They think that they have to be honcho-ing you, not the situation.  

Shucks!   Life's too short.  Have a glass of tea. :D :D

GF

You have got to move, you are not getting any work done living down there, to much windshield time running.

Roxie

I've just got to say an "Amen" to Tom.   :)  Too much of life is spent sweating the small stuff and big stuff that you have no control over.  Today, in our local newspaper, a man wrote an editorial because he was so aggravated that people mow their lawns and blow the clippings into the street.  Honestly.  I wanted soooooooo badly to respond to him that if his biggest problem in life was grass clippings, I wanted to live in his world!   :D  Talk about someone that needs to get a life!
Say when

Furby

Harold, if ya wanna head up this way I may have something to keep ya busy. Should have a big load of logs coming in over the next week, you can play with them if ya want, I don't have time.
It's nice and cool here too, mid 70's!  ;)

J_T

Talk about being in a hurry, neighbor ask me when I was going to mow my yard . I told him I mowed it three times this year and it grew back every time so I gave up  :D :D
Jim Holloway

raycon

Just got off I-95 in CT saw a convoy of utility trucks from New Hampshire headed South. Good thing its all down hill cause they were slowing down the slow lane...wondering if there waiting to find out where Ivan is going to make landfall?
Lot of stuff..

DanG

I-10 has been carrying a lot of convoys, too. Lots of power and phone trucks, Red Cross vehicles, military units, etc. Saw a group of six trucks that said "Large Loss Response Team" from Servco, the carpet cleaning folks. They looked to be pretty well armed, with large trailers behind all the trucks. They were out of New Orleans.
Talked to some local Nat. Guard troops that had just been activated. They were just released a month ago after their Iraq duty. Also, the guys fixing the power lines around my Brother's place were from Louisiana. Nice bunch of fellas, said they ain't been home since Charlie hit. Our guys will be out there helping them next time one goes thataway. :)

Fla._Deadheader

I realize I rant too much, BUT, there was a report on the radio, from a woman that SAID she had a very reliable source, that told her that Fl Power had laid off 6000, that's right, 6000 workers before the storms hit. Figured they could save big bucks and let the other states that offer help, worry about the folks in Fl. There is talk of trying to get the CEO of Fl. Power fired.  >:( >:( >:(

I also spoke with some of the Linemen, from N.Carolina. They were told, "Go find a place with no lights and see what you can do ?????????  Now, I KNOW there has to be coordination with all the other crews. These guys had no idea when someone else would try to heat up a line and maybe fry them ??? ???  This was the biggest mess of poor leadership I have ever seen. Oh yeah, MOST of the crews were sent to Palm Beach County and over on the Barrier Islands. The "Money People" had better reasons to be powered up than the masses of Mainlander's.  There will be LOTS of Politicians out of office after this  !!!!!!!!!!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

That top part sounds like an "Urban Legend" to me. It wouldn't make any sense at all. Progress Energy, formerly known as Florida Power, still has to pay all the out of town workers.  That's the same outfit that is putting the power line in over my head, so I'm all for firing the CEO. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta admit, during bad times there are all sorts of rumors. This woman said she could prove what she said ??? ???

Dan, keep yer eye on this one. It's headed your way  :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

I'm just glad it missed you guys down south. Y'all have paid your dues.  Looks like it might go west of me, but its too early to tell. They're talking about Wed or Thurs landfall. Can't make firm plans yet or I might run straight into it.  Can't imagine what would happen here if we took a direct Cat 5 hit. This area has never had one of the really big ones. I'm 60 miles inland, but we are on the first hill north of the coast.

What's the market like for old recycled barn lumber, anyway? ::)

Fla._Deadheader

Judging from some of the posts here, much better than fresh, bright, newly sawn barn lumber  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

I'd like to introduce everybody to Hurrucane Jeanne. THis is the fifth storm to put it's sights on Fl., if ya count Ivan as doing it twice.  :o :o

Sure will be glad to see November get here. ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!