iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Truck

Started by Bruno of NH, May 12, 2015, 04:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

My BIL got a new too him log truck so he can run his own wood to the mill .It a former railroad truck one owner it ran on the rails most of its life . He put a tag axle in it to hall more wood .Runs strong no leaks and loader is tight.
My FIL was in the log truck business but they sold the truck after he passed away . Now i can get logs moved to my mill when i need them  8)

He paid short money for it so it should work out good for him. He works hard he needs a good break .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Can't beat that with a stick..(old sayin). smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BargeMonkey

Most of that railroad equipment hasnt been beat, alot of idle time. Looks like a good truck.

Autocar

Nice truck he will be very happy with it and the Prentice is hard to beat very good loaders.
Bill

gjersy

Nice Truck, good deal!
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Maine logger88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 12, 2015, 04:56:10 PM
Most of that railroad equipment hasnt been beat, alot of idle time.
That's the Union for ya lol!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

Nice looking truck BTW!

lumberjack48

The way they work and maintain equipment, that truck is like new.  8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Maine logger88 on May 12, 2015, 08:12:40 PM
Most of that railroad equipment hasnt been beat, alot of idle time.
That's the Union for ya lol!
hey now, i work hard sitting on my computer / phone 8hrs a day, watching the deckhands get wet while drinking coffee looking out the wheelhouse windows.  ;)

Our 590D excavator came off the railroad, looked good but they had hidden some sin on it when they cleaned it up. I know a guy who runs the tool department for the MTA, they have to trade equipment every so many yrs due to NTSB / OSHA requirements. You wouldnt believe the stuff they junk.

Maine logger88

lopet

Sorry for the thumb question, but what does a log truck on the rails ? Was it meant for bringing logs out some place where no road is ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

North River Energy

Retrieving discarded sleepers, perhaps?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: lopet on May 13, 2015, 09:37:13 PM
Sorry for the thumb question, but what does a log truck on the rails ? Was it meant for bringing logs out some place where no road is ?

Moving piles of track ties, maybe the odd tree along the tracks. Most of them you see have a pulp style bucket.

Bruno of NH

It had a rack looked like for hauling rails .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lopet

Never thought of that. So it was basically meant for building and maintaining tracks.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: lopet on May 14, 2015, 09:32:34 PM
Never thought of that. So it was basically meant for building and maintaining tracks.
If you look close in his 2nd picture you can still see the wheels for riding on the tracks. They ran off air bags like a tag axle ?

Justify008

Most of that railroad equipment hasnt been beat, alot of idle time. Looks like a good truck.
I work for a railroad so I wouldn't say most hasn't been beat  the bigger stuff like this log truck probably only had one or 2 drivers its whole life so it was probably taken care of but we have some pickups that they let anyone drive and some guys just like to beat on them for fun. I've personally been in two pickups that have been airborne (I wasn't driving). But you are right about the idle time we had a service van only a couple years old had less then 20k miles old developed a rod knock needed a motor the dealer said it was impossible it needed a motor with that few miles until he plugged it in the computer and said the idle time it had on it was  equivalent to over 750k miles. Keep it warm in the winter cool in the summer that thing never shut off ran 24 hours a day.

lopet

Quote from: lopet on May 13, 2015, 09:37:13 PM
Sorry for the thumb question, but .....

Woooooops, I guess it was pretty dumb to ask a thumb question in a forestry forom.   :embarassed: :embarassed:

Lots of smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup for those who replied to a  smiley_thumbsdown smiley_thumbsdown question .

And of coarse  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup for the truck. Tight loader and low milage, what else you need. :)

Bruno of NH

Hauling logs to the mill and making money that's the name of the game .
Jim/Bruno

loggah

Jim,Now there wont be a tree safe along the highway,or the railroad !!!! ;D ;D I guess i'll probably see that truck roaming around here! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Bruno of NH

Don, I don't know if it's on the road yet he needs to get his DOT numbers who knows how long that takes with all the red tape in NH .
Jim

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: lumberjack48 on May 12, 2015, 09:17:24 PM
  The way they work and maintain equipment, that truck is like new.  8)

x2 I looked at a chevy 1 ton that was in a fleet change years back it had 385,000 miles on it but the engine and tranny only had 15k miles!!! :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!