iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kitchen island countertop

Started by DPForumDog, May 12, 2015, 02:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPForumDog

Hello,
One of the first 100 projects I want to do with our new sawmill is to build a kitchen island. The think I am most concernced about is the countertop.  I want something practical but I would never cut or knead on it  on it,
( I dont roll dough on my granite I use a plastic dough mat.) 
I would be "working" on the countertop so it would be subject to pot banging and cooking oil spills and splatters, etc 

Anyone have experience with making countertops (not necessarily butcher block)?   What is the best wood?  Of course it would have to come from our central alabama acreage.  Waht is they best finish? etc etc.

Thanks
Granny DP
DPForumDog
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

Bruno of NH

I have built many wood tops over the years hardwood works the best but have made many out of 2 inch pine .
Customers that know wood treat them well so they hold up great .
I use spar varnish for a finish or some times food grade oil .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Here is a simple one made from white oak.  Top is 1 1/8" thick, but it is made to look 2 1/4" thick.  Finished with 100% pure mineral oil (like the kind for medicinal uses you find at the drug store) and paraffin way.  Wax was grated with a cheese grater and melted in a pot of mineral oil.

Base is painted yellow poplar.  Slats are quartersawn white oak.

Here is a similar one made from wormy white oak with sweetgum slats.

You could add drawers and cabinet doors if you wanted.  You can buy butcher block legs if you like the fancy turned ones. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

I sold a walnut slab today. About 27 bf. $500.

woodmills1

always use straight mineral oil for counter tops.  It looks good and is non toxic, and when it doesn't look good re-apply.  when it looks real bad sand it and re-coat.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jueston

Quote from: DPForumDog on May 12, 2015, 02:48:58 PM
I want something practical but I would never cut or knead on it  on it,

if your not going to cut or prepare food on it, then i would use epoxy or poly, both are durable and will last a while.

oil/wax is a great finish for food safe things, but it needs to be maintained and reapplied a lot.

WDH

Here is a kitchen island top that I made for a customer.  It has been stained, but not finished.  The finish will be tung oil.  It is quartersawn white oak that Customsawyer and I sawed a couple of years ago.  The stain really shows off the figure. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Here we go again old Danny is hawking his talents again.
I must admit,he is good.
al glenn

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Rural

The 'butcherblock' top on this kitchen island I made for my daughter has stood up well. Its strips of Cherry and Maple glued together and just oiled after sanding.

ppine

I had a friend of mine make one out of black walnut. He used to drive around after wind storms looking for big trees that came down.  It is matched really well of planks around 12 inches wide. It is 1 3/4 inches thick. It absolutely makes the room. I also have a maple butcher block near the stove, and Douglas fir doors and trim. The cabinets are oak, but if you like wood it all goes together fine. It is what a forester's kitchen should look like.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!