iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 oil burner

Started by stoneeaglefarm, May 12, 2015, 01:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneeaglefarm

To all you folks that run 353 Detroits , Got the old clam clark skidder running and pulling, After a good cleaning, Today, Shows only a small hydro leak in one piston, The 353, First I have run in 20 years is throwing a little oil from what appears to be just above were starter bolts on and some were around shaft coming out of front of motor, Is this common, Hear them detroits like to burn oil, Thoughts from the pros.

BargeMonkey

If its not dripping your out of oil. My 353 driptoit will consume / bleed 1qt every few days. Down to only 2 now, a 353 and 8V92 single turbo.

ga jones

Oil leaks can be stopped now a days with modern sealants. New seals. (Permatex). They do burn a bit.it depends on how bad you want to chase leaks.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

sounds like the front seal. if its bad, the front pulley can be pulled just like a balancer on a car, then replace the seal and reinstall. over the starter.........air box drain tube there i think.

i have seen detroits that don't leak, these engines are old and any old engine will have dried out seals and gaskets.

John Woodworth

Your air box drain is behind the starter and drainage fo I s normal, anytime you have the starter out be sure to clean is, if it plugs will use oil big time, what is the shaft you are talking of?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

lumberjack48

I'm sure hes taking about the crank shaft, the seal behind the damper wheel is leaking. I've replaced this seal a few times.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

cutter88

Barge monkey is right if a Detroit ain't leaking a bit of oil it's likely out of oil lol
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

BargeMonkey

I took a 3 day class for the 53/71/92 series about 5yrs ago in FL, racks, blowers and doing a complete kit. The mentality was to run it till you couldnt pour oil back in fast enough then fix the leaks. In the martitime world, especially up north they are slowly becoming an extinct engine. Problem with them in the forestry world is the wide variations and special parts sometimes, mine had odd gear train being a "stationary engine" and not a regular skidder engine. Swenton's did mine and i couldnt be happier.

Logger003

I have one 353 but have run lots over the years and have never seen one that doesn't leak , I always thought that's why they last so long. They lubricate both the inside and outside of the engine

Thank You Sponsors!