iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sequoia Mills

Started by LumberDan, May 12, 2015, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Dan, whether it's how I feel or not, I probably shouldn't have responded on here in the manner I did. Sorry about that, Bud.
I do hope the rest of your build goes good for you and you get to brag on your mill and tell us about it some in the future.
There is a gentleman on here that a year or so ago was just flat irate that his new mill showed up 2 days early. He caught a bit of teasing about it, stepped back and took a look at things and I'd bet good money he laughs about it now because he seems like a pretty good guy. I hope the final outcome is the same for you.

MartyTheMiller

How is this project going?  I remain happy with my experience with Sequoia Mills.
Just getting started!

LumberDan

>:( Well guys, lol. I have waited to see what was going to happen and nothing has yet. The mill carriage got here a few weeks ago, but was damaged in shipment. yes I said damaged! lol  I unstrapped it from the banged up skid they strapped it to and set it on my garage floor. It was twisted and would not set flat, it rocked back and forth. In other words not all four v-rollers would touch the ground at the same time. I spun it around 360 degrees thinking it was my floor, not! Now I have to go through "Estes Express Trucking" to a "shipping broker"(hired by Neil Akers) to Neil himself( Sequoia Mills ). I got my first phone call from them since March, :laugh: and it was his wife, she said they were going to build me another one and put it ahead of everything else. Sounds great right? That was 2 weeks ago, I think they might get it done but how long? Sometimes I think I will not get the chance at milling, I'm just exhausted and have lost my excitement about the whole thing. I have got over $3000 invested and have a really cool looking yard-art piece.   :o

Ox

I've got that sickly feeling in my guts for you.  :-\

Hopefully it works out.  Geez, it seems they oughta cut you a break after all of this now.  Take some $ off for your troubles.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

BradMarks

I hope when you rec'd the damaged pallet you noted the damage of the pallet on the paperwork, it makes claims so much easier.  Some companies such as the one who hauled your frt are notorious for damage. Cheaper isn't always better. Good luck on the claim.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: LumberDan on June 15, 2015, 11:05:40 AM
... I unstrapped it from the banged up skid they strapped it to and set it on my garage floor. ...

Dan,

I know you are very frustrated and aggravated with the situation. However, part of the situation seems to be hinging on your perception of the manufacturer. Have you considered that the skid you received might have been in perfect condition when it was shipped from the manufacturer's facility and that the damage you see to the skid (and your mill frame) may well have occurred while the package was in the custody of the shipping company? Do you really think that the people who devote so much time and effort to building your mill would purposely use a damaged skid for shipping? Why? What would they gain? Instead, they now have committed to building you another frame at no additional cost to ensure you get an undamaged unit.

I wish you well and hope this all gets totally resolved soon and that you are soon up to your eyeballs in sawdust with lumber stacked up high all around.

Herb

LumberDan

Yes Bradmarks I did note it with Estes Express, well I noted the bent T-handle for the blade tentioner, the twisted frame I didn't know about till I got it home and off the skid. PC-Urban, I know this happened in transit and took pics and sent them to the claims dept. of the shipping broker. They are the ones who mounted it to the skid, and are handling the claim. I believe the manufacturer did nothing wrong in this situation. The pecking order here is Neil (Sequoia Mills) has to file the claim to the shipping broker then they need to file a claim with Estes Express. The question for me is will Neil build me another one and ship it without payment from the insurance company first? I've not heard from them this week, no answer yet. I've been trying to straighten it but think its a loss. also am mounting the engine and winch for the raising and lowering. Doing this to learn the set up, since I have absolutely no instructions on set up. My wife said that was crazy it came with no instructions which my reply was, If a person takes on a build project of this magnitude, he needs no instructions!  :D The band wheels was a bit tricky keeping the blade on, I admit. The blade guides will be next, maybe someone can give me some insight? A big learning curve for sure. If I can get pics from my phone to this old laptop I will post some. till next time... :P

Ox

Geez Louise - I guess I think that any mill or mill parts should come with instructions on setup, operation and maintenance. 
I know it seems easier said than done, but maybe a phone call asking about a manual?  Maybe the shipper lost it.
My Cooks sharpener came with the book just zip tied onto it.  Could be easily lost.
I have no idea how to help you set up a Sequoia mill.  I need to bow out on this one.
There are others who have one - maybe they have a manual they'd be willing to photo copy and send to you?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LumberDan

guess the pics are in my gallery

LumberDan

the blade and blade guides needs to be parallel to the tracks and the band wheels needs to be perpendicular to the tracks and inline with one another, right? whats more to know? lmao! as far as a phone call... lol Hey I will be happy with a text!

Magicman

As per FF rules, the Gallery is for posted pictures only. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Quote from: LumberDan on June 15, 2015, 09:43:07 PM
the blade and blade guides needs to be parallel to the tracks and the band wheels needs to be perpendicular to the tracks and inline with one another, right? whats more to know?
Pretty much that's it in a nutshell.  Everything straight, parallel and true.  If you have guides that push down on the blade for control, 1/4" deflection is the norm.  If you have the sandwich type guides (top bottom and back bearings) there should be no deflection.

LumberDan

Got the push down type, thanks Ox. Majicman, did i do something I  wasn't supposed to loading pics? got to say, I'm not impressed with the winch and cable set up for the raising and lowering. lots of weight with the 23hp motor, battery, fuel tank plus the saw-head its self. looks like it would be next to impossible to consistently mill the same thickness of boards. its not smooth but that could be the frame being racked?

gww

My home made mill binds a bit going up and down.  It does losen with use.  It still binds a bit and I find myself giving the whole thing a shake side to side to make sure it is moving in all places.  I have a two post head not a four post and expect some of this.  It is also very rickity but seems to cut consistantly.  I don't have $3000 in it and don't know what to expect from a mill like yours but you might find it losens quite well after a few uses.  I did lubercate the post.
Good luck
gww

Ox

Option 1 - Force it to move dry a few times until it loosens up some, then lube it and all will be well.

Option 2 - would be to watch where the paint scrapes off and lightly file or sand in those places.
If no paint there, spray a light coat and watch for where it scrapes off.

But the first option will work.

I'm sure there's smarter fellers here with better ideas but I'm just sharing what I know works for me.  :)

Magicman

Quote from: LumberDan on June 16, 2015, 10:26:25 AMMajicman, did i do something I  wasn't supposed to loading pics?
I was pointing out Jeff's instructions as per here:  How to Post Pictures  Check out the first paragraph written in BOLD.  This board is found at the very bottom of the FF index page.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LumberDan

Update on my claim for a new mill from Sequoia Mills due to damage in shipment... NO UPDATE! I ordered it March 23rd, received the "twisted up" damaged mill finally on June 3rd, Sequoia Mills didn't file the claim till June 24th, Estes Express has up to 45 days (August 8th) to respond... really?? If successful in getting a claim check it goes to Sequoia Mills, then up to them to build me another one and ship it. Going by the first turn around time it took 10 weeks to get, lets see..., I should finally get my mill around October 17th... beautiful! At least I won't be sweating rolling logs around. Summery, horrible place to do business with!

Ox

Maybe, just maybe it might be better than you're expecting.  I can feel your frustration clear over here on the hill.

BradMarks

We do a lot of shipping and receiving palletized orders, so taking 3 weeks to initiate a claim is very poor business. Instructions are immediately if damaged in transit. Good luck.

deadfall

My, what as saga!  Being lysdexic, I timed out before I could read through this.  I know Murphy's Laws are for engineering, but there must be a Murphy's Laws of Commerce as well.  I'm so glad to be out of business and retarred. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

justallan1

Dan, are they just going to build you a new carriage frame and you put the components from the one you have on it, or do you get an entirely new mill? If you get a whole new mill is there a chance that you can fix the one that was already sent to you? From your pics it doesn't look like it would take much at all to be up and running, granted pictures don't always tell the whole story.
I'll say this for darned sure, if your getting an entire carriage assembly with wheels and engine included, I'd be happier than a dog in the cat box! I'd fix the one you have and use it, then sell the new one in October. ;D
Better yet, sell the "Twisted up damaged mill" to me and I'll fix it up and sell it.
I do feel your pain on the shipping woes though. A couple months ago I sent someone a crate of burls worth right at $2,500 and it got lost for a month and a half. He'd lined up the shipping through a broker and sent me the bill of lading. I sent it off and it just flat disappeared somewhere between Billings Montana and Michigan. The broker used every last trick he could to prove it was our fault and offered to give us $50 for my loss, OUCH! I had to force myself to finally just call the buyer and tell him, "Well, the time I'd spent finding, sawing, processing and building a shipping crate was that much more time that I was sober." That was, at that time, the only possible thing that I could do. About a week later my crate was found in a warehouse, IN DALLAS TEXAS!
Have a great, Dan. It will somehow all work out for you.

Kbeitz

Take what left of the second mill and make your self an extension...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LumberDan

To answer some of the questions, I had Sequoia Mills build me the carriage and head only, I installed all of the extras such as motor, winch/cable lift system, battery, fuel tank and mounting supports, clutch, blade etc... Had to also do all of the setup of the band wheels/blade guides as it was just thrown together to ship it. It did take me a little while to get it all figured out being the first time I did this and no instructions. I have done all this setup and dialing in to learn so when I get a good one I can get going pretty quick. lol maybe! I did get a call last week from someone at the shippers saying they are going to send an investigator to my house here in Ohio to look at the mill. at least that's progress but my only fear at this point is if they deem it repairable, who repairs it and the check still goes to Neil Akers not me. does he forward the check to me?  :D Meanwhile I have begun building my sawmill trailer for this thing. The main tracks are 4"x 7" 3/16" tubing 20' long. caped with 2"x2" angle turned over for the v-rollers to ride on. The cross members are 3"x 8.5" semi truck frame. I got a deal on some new truck frame at the steel yard. It looks great and now I'm working on building 8 jack stands. If I start a new post about the build will you guys see it? many of you have showed interest and have actually help me in my plight with this whole mess. I don't know how it works   :) I still am not sure on the upload picture thing. I can upload to my gallery but i guess i'm not allowed to invite anyone to view my gallery? hmm? Then if I use the link below "Click here to add Photos to post" it takes me to my gallery and then I select one then... nothing, it doesn't give me any options at that point. lol Will update you all later lmao

Ga Mtn Man

After you select the pic, scroll down.  You will see a button labeled "Insert Image In Post".  Click it and a link to the pic will be inserted into your post.  Click "Preview" to see what it looks like.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ox

Your mill frame sounds like a very sturdy and rugged design.  I wish I had gone with box tube but the large angle iron is holding up fine.  Just isn't as stiff as I would like to see it.  When it's properly supported it doesn't flex at all, which is what really counts.

Thank You Sponsors!