iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees trimmed ruthlessly along Tri-Rail tracks - what equipment does this?

Started by tpackert, May 12, 2015, 11:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpackert

Hello,

I ride the South Florida Tri-Rail - today I noticed a lot of trees over the course of miles that had been trimmed ruthlessly by some heavy equipment.

Does anyone know what equipment the railroad maintenance crews use to trim trees along the tracks?

The photos are not great from a moving train, but you can see the effect on the trees.

Tom

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You can post your pics in your post. Click on the line below that will take you to a window, then click on "My Gallery" tab. Bring up your pic, and scroll down below a page or two for the "Insert image in post" button.

The RR uses a huge rotary cutter that whacks the limbs off. Looks particularly bad at first, but does the job of keeping the branches free of their right-of-way for moving trains and clearing snow. Likely they have the most efficient method short of having a crew do it by hand.

But it is butt-ugly right after it is done. Sometimes there are some huge chunks of wood tossed out of the ROW onto adjacent property.

Sample of the type of equipment used by the RR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOQGPdVPqQU

Another video of what it looks like if nothing is bushwhacked (at the beginning showing brush encroaching on the tracks).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1lBQPdyqVY
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

The RR around here has a gmail mower on a boom that has a pretty good reach. About fifteen years ago they ate some snow mobiles that were parked too close to the track. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tpackert

mesquite buckeye

A lot of rural roads in Missouri are done the same way. It is cheap. That's why they do it that way.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tpackert. 

Now how about an intro thread and sharing your tree, log, lumber interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!