iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whatzit?

Started by hackberry jake, May 11, 2015, 09:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

This came in a box from a shut down industrial maintenance shop. Appears to be cast iron with two machined surfaces and three adjustable feet/thumb knob things. Whatzit?

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

gww

A very heavy duty magazine rack.
gww

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It was used for shoeing Goats.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don_Papenburg

Shucks we use a double barrel 12 ga. to shoo goats.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ianab

I reckon you could use that  for checking shafts and pulleys for balance or kinks?

Adjust the feet so it's completely level, then roll the shaft along the knife edges. If it wasn't in balance, you would soon see.

OR else it's the worlds biggest napkin holder.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on May 11, 2015, 10:27:56 PM

OR else it's the worlds biggest napkin holder.

:D :D :D I think we have a winner!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

Near as I can guess I'd say pack-rat poison and you been bit, but I would have hauled it home too.
I do like Ianabs' thinking on it though. If you wanted to balance a shaft, pulley, flywheel, Etc. that would work perfect without the time wasted mounting it up in a set of bearings, plus it would be free of any resistance.
CRAP! I need one. ;D

beenthere

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on May 11, 2015, 10:25:57 PM
Shucks we use a double barrel 12 ga. to shoo goats.

How far will it shoo a goat? Far far awayyyyyy ??

The Whatzit looks like ways for a sliding part, like a carriage (only sliding a short distance however :) )

Might make a decent base for a planer knife blade sharpener.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Looks like it could be some sort of grinding jig!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Ian's right. It's used to check the static balance on a shaft (usually with something mounted on it, such as a gear, pulley, fan impeller).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: beenthere on May 11, 2015, 11:26:01 PM
How far will it shoo a goat? Far far awayyyyyy ??

Quick research says 40 to 60 yards for bird or buckshot...

:D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

Herb

Don_Papenburg

The closer you are to the goat the farther you can shoo him
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pineywoods

Balance table for planer heads, especially the old square heads...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

martyinmi

Ways extension for an older lathe maybe? The rail design looks similar to my old (40's) South Bend flat belt lathe.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

21incher

I would have to guess the removable ways section from a gap bed lathe. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dave Shepard

Definitely not a lathe extension. I buy the static balance suggestion. You will nee a machinery's level to set it up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!