iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by stanwelch, May 11, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanwelch

I retired May 1, 2011 and picked up an LT15 in Indianapolis on May 2nd. I set up in an old gravel pit behind my house.

I found out it would be a lot more fun to have some shade so I decided  to build a sawmill shed.  With the help of Jim Rogers this is what I want to build.

I started this project by grading the shed site and installed pilings and concrete.

With the help of my grandson (and some concrete guys)

Now all I need to do is cut the trees ,mill the beams and post, cut joints and assemble.  Simple right.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

shakebone

Looking good !! I like it !
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

78NHTFY

All good things take time!  Very nice set up.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

Ljohnsaw

Where's the rocks??  Interesting way to put the footings in - around here there would be no way to dig that deep in less than a week WITH a backhoe!   :D

Looks great!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like this build. Good pics too! Keep them coming.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

stanwelch

Here in southern Michigan the footings need to be at least four feet deep to be below frost line. I put the top of the square at 4 feet and the bottom at 5 feet. The tube and box were filled with concrete in one pour. Steel rerod inserted to tie base and pier then the steel post brackets installed with legs into the concrete. The sawmill posts will be screwed to these brackets. This should hold the building down during wind storms
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Ox

Spectacular!  Looks well thought and carried out.  Here on my hill we have to use bedrock to our advantage.  It ranges from 1 1/2 foot to 3 foot down.  Nice for construction sometimes but not for drainage.
I also lose trees to blowdowns more than most because the roots can't get down far enough.
All the other farms around grow corn and hay crops.  We grow rocks.  Pick em all this year and next year more are sprouting.  Darn frost heaves em right up.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Dave Shepard

We have a field that grows rocks. Just dug this one up this weekend. About four tons.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dad2FourWI

stanwelch, looks great!!!

My mill is very jealous!!!  :D  :D  :D

We do not have a rock on the whole farm... we have a few "sand stones" that were cut from local hills back around 150 years ago (which we still use!) but other than those... we can dig a hole where we want and only worry about hitting roots!!!

Your setup looks great!... remember to leave a later way to "add-on"... there is never enough space for drying lumber, farm equip, etc.... with a little "forethought", a later add-on (or four) can be a very easy task... if  you do _not_ think about this now.... well, it might not be quite as easy! LOL!!!

Great pics... keep them coming!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

gww

dad
QuoteWe do not have a rock on the whole farm... we have a few "sand stones" that were cut from local hills back around 150 years ago (which we still use!) but other than those... we can dig a hole where we want and only worry about hitting roots!!!

I am glad you have where you are from cause by the above statement, I knew you were not from MO.

I think rocks is one of MO largest export products and we should have product forever.

I think here we can get by with a 24 inch frost line and I thought that is hard to dig.  Looks great.
gww

Dad2FourWI

gww, LOL!!! OK, I guess I will be happy with what I have.... (I don't have much choice!)

I do have to admit.... when it rains outside, we walk to the porch and wipe our feet (100% sand) and we are done... That is a lot better than a heavy clay soil !!!

So.... how much do you want for a load of rocks?    :D :D :D  Just kidding!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

gww

dad
QuoteI do have to admit.... when it rains outside, we walk to the porch and wipe our feet (100% sand) and we are done...
Now thats just mean :laugh:
gww

stanwelch

Soil types and ROCKS do have to be considered when choosing a site.  I'm in a glacial outwash area with mostly mixed sand and gravel.  The ground water table is quite shallow however.  If I were to dig another 5 feet, I would be running into water. 
After the slab was complete, I started cutting trees and moving logs to the mill site.  The longest beams needed are three 24' 8x10s and four 16' 8x10s.  I decided that it would be more efficient to add 10' to the sawmill bed than try to slide oak logs on the shorter 16' bed.  Color doesn't quite match but close.   

With the help of "Big John" I was able to turn logs and remove slabs.  Working alone on a manual mill production records were not set. :D :D But hey, it is only a hobby.

Using the Jim Rogers 5 gallon bucket sawdust catcher and a leaf blower the slab can be kept pretty clean 

WDH

That sawmill is sure happy now.  When you decide to do something, you do it right!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

You call that a shed?? I would call it an industrial spec'd warehouse!!
NICE WORK.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Stan its apparent your doing things right, awful nice to have a roof in the winter. I would make an effort to spread sawdust or wood chips where the logs will be stored if they will lay on the ground for even a short time. Grit and small stones are like poison to a band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishfighter

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on May 12, 2015, 12:16:38 AM
gww, LOL!!! OK, I guess I will be happy with what I have.... (I don't have much choice!)

I do have to admit.... when it rains outside, we walk to the porch and wipe our feet (100% sand) and we are done... That is a lot better than a heavy clay soil !!!

So.... how much do you want for a load of rocks?    :D :D :D  Just kidding!

-Dad2FourWI

When it rains here, one has to swim to the door the first day or two. Then fight that heavy clay.

Nice build. Kind of hard for to think y'all guys up north have to build way extra due to winter. ;D All our extra has to go into framing for hurricane winds.

petefrom bearswamp

Very nice!
My shed pales by comparison
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

stanwelch

Last summer I got all the frame timbers cut, roof boards stacked and air drying and the pegs made.  Seems easy to just cut the joints and away we go.  Not so fast. 

16 braces to cut

4 scarf joints

fine tune scarf joint

post and beam joints

and peg holes

barbender

Well, Stanwelch, I see you are not given to doing things halfway ;) That shed will be awesome!
Too many irons in the fire

stanwelch

Thanks for the compliments guys !!  Once most of the joints were cut I only had to wait for spring weather to move on to assembly of the frame

Trial fitting bent 

Looks like it might work

gww

S
Heck, you got more work in your sawhorses then I do in most of my sheds.  Look great, you have did a lot of work and I am glad you documented it and shared with us.  Makes me want to do better.
gww

stanwelch

I got the idea for the sawhorses from Wranglerstar on youtube.  I'm not sure where he got the idea.  They work pretty good.  I turned all the big beams and posts many times from horse to horse.  They took the beating.  The Logrite cant hook saved my back more times than I can count. Great tool !!  Thanks Logrite 8) 8)

stanwelch

Now that most of the joinery is done, time to get the frame up.

Bent assembled and ready to set in place.

We have never tried this before.  But with the help of Big John and BIL,  got er done.   

Screwing pier bracket to post.

Thank You Sponsors!