iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

faulty flapper(s)

Started by drobertson, May 11, 2015, 08:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I really did not want to bring this up, but near wits end here.  After close to 5 years of seal off, the mud rooms toilets flapper gave up the ghost. So I replaced it, and again, and once more, still not sealing off.  I have to say all else is solid and in place, but the flapper is not quite sealing off.. I believe the shrink rate on the molding is off causing this misalignment of the flapper to the seal off.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm not a Plummer but have done my share as most have,  the parts seem just a hair short of the mark on these,  sorry for bringing this horrible topic  up, but just want it to seal off and stop running.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Crow99

Try lowering the water level in the tank. That will put less pressure on top of the flapper and might allow it to seal better. The new flappers seem cheap, flimsy and too flexible compared to the older stuff. Too much water in the tank may be distorting the flapper and not allowing it to seal properly.  This has worked for me a couple of times.  I think the new ones are designed for the newer low capacity tanks and get overloaded with more water in the older ones.

Mooseherder

I don't know if this will work but might be worth a shot.  I use Vaseline for the rubber gasket o-rings on my pool pump intake cover and also on the o-ring top cover of my pool filter.  It helps keep things from drying up and provides a better seal.  Maybe try dabbing some around the perimeter of the flapper to see if it'll work.

Onthesauk

Or plumbers grease.  I use it on everything, hoses, fittings, nozzles, anything with water.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Maybe just get a new flush valve, and the seat that the flapper "flaps" against will be new.

Reminds me of the copper clapper of Johnny Carson and Jack Webb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfuTTd09vo
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

More than once I've found how the flapper attaches to the other parts was the problem. If it binds just the tiniest bit, it won't want to align correctly. Another guess would be making sure your chain is straight above it and isn't drawing it off to the side.
Just some ideas.

drobertson

the first two replacements did seem off where they hook on the drain pipe hinge post, tried to modify with no luck, the one on now just about seals, I am going to try the plumbers grease, if that fails I reckon a whole new assembly will be in order,
As to clapper caper,  it's not often enough that I laugh this early in the morning ;D thanks you all for the input,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

a few more things to check. run your finger nail around the rim of flush valve and make sure it doesnt have a groove cut in it from leaking water it can be small enough you cant feel it with finger tip. take flapper back out  and look where the chain is crimped to the end to make sure the flapper is flat I have seen the crimp cause flapper to look a little wavy if chain is attached to low. if it is old enough to have a brass flush valve shine light and look inside over flow tube with tank full of water to check for pinholes (I worked on 1 for 3 days because of a pinhole one time :-[ ). If it is not a korky brand flapper try to find one, the red ones are better but are 3 times the price of black one.  hope you get it figured out smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Hilltop366

Some work better than others, some will work on one toilet and not the next. It can be a crap shoot really.;D
I have learned to avoid the cheep store brand ones and get the Moen, Fluid Master, or the Yellow ones.

Are you sure it is not the fill valve not closing fully?

Sometimes they don't close completely and run, lift up on the arm a bit to see if you still hear the flapper leaking.

beenthere

I too thought of the fill valve not closing, but figure DR checked that by closing the supply line, and seeing the water steadily drain from the closet. Have had both the fill assembly as well as the flapper fail their "task".  Nice when they work, and keep working. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

I know you're pain, I fought that in a house for 2 years, replaced everything and still had trouble, then we moved  ;D.  Hope you have better luck.

21incher

When I first bought my house I had a problem with the flush valves getting stuck on and making the tanks overfill in all my toilets. The flappers did not leak but the toilets would always have water running and faucets also dripped. I changed the 3 valves, faucet cartridges, and in several months the leaks began again. I went to Home Depot and talked to a employee in the plumbing dept. and he recommended putting a filter on my main water line because I was using a well. After installing a sediment filter all my problems went away. The filter catches all the fine sand in my water that used to cause premature failure of all the valves in my house.
Try replacing the whole valve and flapper assembly because the old valve bodies were made to inch dimensions and the new ones are metric and the flappers may not be fully interchangeable.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den Socling

Great! Now I have a toilet problem. I spent $377 to have a check valve added on one of my two wells. There was a little piece of stone in the original. Then I found a toilet flapper leaking. Now the valve doesn't want to refill. Newfangled stuff. I will look for good old fashioned simple valve and flapper at the hardware store tomorrow.

Mooseherder

I posted this a few years ago.  Good time for a rerun now. ;D

Den Socling

:D  :D  :D  :D That made me laugh out loud!  :D  :D   :D  :D

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D thats a good1
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

where do you guys come up with this stuff  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mooseherder

It was on a Birthday card I got. :D

pabst79

One other issue can be brand, if you have a Kohler stool, you will need a Kohler flapper. It will depend on age as well. There are a couple different styles. As a previous post states, the RED Korky universal ones are the best, but if you got a Kohler stool the universal flappers will give you fits. All other brands for the most part allow you to use the uni flappers. I also recommend a whole house filter with a 50 micron cartridge regardless of water quality, it will save you on countless repairs down the road.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Holmes

Things can be misleading.  If the refill tube [1/4" rubber line] is set to low into the overflow pipe the water can siphon thru the ballcock and make it appear the flapper is leaking.   If there is no refill tube then it is most likely the flapper.   What make is the toilet?
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

I believe I have the FluidMasters in the Kohler toilets, since 2001, and no problems at all.
south central Wisconsin

Den Socling

I didn't replace mine today. I pushed the flapper down in the hole and punched the fill valve 10 or 20 times. It's working fine.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!