iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

132 Franklin Forwarder

Started by gjersy, May 11, 2015, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjersy

Got the old Franklin going, it sat 2 years after Pa died so i got it running, it started right up after 5 seconds never even charged the batteries. The vane-pump(runs the steering, blade & winch) was tired so i rebuilt it and changed all the hyd oil as there was condensation in hyd tank. I serviced, repaired a few minor things. I had several guys look it over but no one wanted to give Mom what i thought it was worth, so i bought it. It's old, but low hour rebuild 453 Detroit, good 28L rubber, a winch and it's not all busted and rewelded like a lot from those days. Pa owned it since it was pretty new, late 70's, we used it for swamp jobs only. I rented it from Pa 5-6yrs ago to help skid a swamp job, other than that it just got used around the shop the last decade. Still a sound reliable machine, as he was always on top of maintenance, should last another 40 years.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Maine logger88

Looks like a nice machine! My uncle has one that looks a lot like it but his only has a 353. What brand winch is that on the front it looks handy
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mad murdock

That is a looker for sure!! Nice!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

gjersy

Thanks, I'm sorry it is a 353, my Timberjacks are 453, wasn't thinking. Not sure on the winch brand he put it on a few years after he bought it. the winch is handy but geared way to slow so i'm going to gear it up i have a better orbital motor that should do it.

chevytaHOE5674

Wish I could talk to wife into a machine like that for around the farm. Be so handy for making firewood, selling some logs, handling hay, picking up stumps/rocks/brush/etc.

Maine logger88

It almost looks like the Tulsa winch on my fathers lowbed his is slow too but pulls really well!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

gjersy

Right on Maine Logger88 it is a Tulsa winch. This ones geared to slow, as you can get out and barely see it move lol. It still beats waiting for another machine to come over and pull you out of the muck though.

tantoy

Sweet rig, glad you can use and or preserve it!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

BargeMonkey

Looks like a nice machine.   ;)  those 28L's have to be pretty stable, mine with 23.1 is still pretty tippy. There is a sister to that machine over Hunter Mt way working, guy logged in softwood down here 2x winters and then sold it to a local guy here, not pretty but moves alot of wood without a stupid payment.

gjersy

Yes it's pretty stable, there are still quite a few of the old Franklin 120's & 132's in WI. My bud had a 132 skidding behind his 133 Fabtek all winter, he said it kept up and impressed him, of course it wasn't a real long long skid. Is your 132 thats tippy a roof mount boom?

BargeMonkey

Ive got a 230 long bunk with a serco 4k, 23.1 rubber, its ok if picking bunched wood but off the trails she is a pig. I get alot of lots it wont take more than a 1/2 bunk load up the hill. Ive talked about a used small processor for softwood but around here its still 80% skidder work unless you want to cut alot of roads in with the dozer.

timberlinetree

Nice machine! Sorry about your dad. Nice to see its up and running. Our franklin is nice to have and comes in real handy. Wish franklin was still in business.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

gjersy

Thanks timberlinetree, you have a nice one also! Yes it's to bad the company is gone, they were tough, simple & long lasting machines.

Thank You Sponsors!