iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how often do you change your blade on your shop bandsaw?

Started by hackberry jake, May 11, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I've been doing a lot of resawing on my shop bandsaw and it seems like the blade is lasting forever. My previous two blades got prematurely damaged so I never got to see how long they would've lasted. I would say I probably have 8 hours on my current blade and it's still cutting pretty fast.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Andy White

Hackberry Jake,
I had to change bands on my saw after resawing Hickory, and White Oak fairly soon. Probably 8 to 10 hours. I went to my local woodworker supply house, and he recommended a new type band for me to try. It is a 1/4" three tooth per inch by Olsen called Furniture Makers Special. Normally I used a 3/4" for resaw, but this one is a beast. I don't know hours, but I've been cutting with this one for over a year. I can cut radius cuts with it as well as resawing. Saves me a lot of time switching bands. I like it a lot!    ;D ;D  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Den-Den

My experience is not typical; I use my shop band-saw mostly for cutting turning blanks.  Wet thick wood with bark, no precision required.  Partly because I have a bigger band-saw than most of my turning friends, my saw gets used quite a bit.  I go through 8 - 10 carbon steel blades per year.  I have also used bi-metal blades (Lennox DieMaster 2) they cost about 3x the blades I use now and last 3x as long; IF no metal is involved. 

If I was mostly re-sawing clean wood, I would use a more expensive blade and expect a longer life.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

hackberry jake

I think it was @Larry who was telling me that wider blades are over-rated for resawing. Before I got my band saw I had him resaw some Osage Orange into 1/4" thick veneers for guitars. I think he used a 1/4" blade. I am using a 1/2" blade at the moment and I have been resawing 3" thick pine, sycamore, and cedar. Im sure that's part of why my blade has lasted so long. Softer woods and fairly shallow cuts. If I were resawing 12" thick hickory... my mileage would likely be far worse.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

It seems like bands last a lot longer on the bigger bandsaws than they did on my small saws.  I'm happy with my blade life in any case and I'm an abuser.

Last week I was sawing aluminum and the week before some brass.  Than yesterday I sawed a piece of driftwood out of the lake for a lady that turns it into art.  All with the same band...like I said I'm a abuser.

But I do change them after they break. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Larry, was that the 20" band saw or the 14" band saw?

Larry

I was talking about my 20" Delta and that is what is pictured.

I put a Boston gear drive in my 14" Delta to slow it down and it sees nothing but steel.  It has been working great for that purpose.  I think I put a 16 or maybe a 18 TPI band on it.

The 20" Delta normally has a 3 TPI band from 1/4" width up to 1".  Most of the time it will either be 1/4" or 3/8" width.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!