iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

026/MS260-Pro Oiler Clarification needed

Started by kellysguy, May 11, 2015, 10:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellysguy

It seems the more I read, the less I know. I found a 026 and while looking for specs I read somewhere it didn't have an automatic oiler. Elsewhere I read it does and the 260 Pro uses a COMPUTERIZED automatic oiler but the regular 260 doesn't.
I've been trying to research this on my own but I'm finding I know less and less with each page I turn. What has what and oils how? Thanks.

JohnG28

They all have automatic oilers, the 026 pro and 260 pro have adjustable oilers, so you can vary the flow to the bar. I believe the only other difference between them is the pro ones have a decomp as well. I have never heard of a computer controlled oiler, there are computer controlled carbs. The 261 has them on the c and cm versions. It is a completely different saw than an 026/260.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on May 11, 2015, 11:53:29 AM
They all have automatic oilers, the 026 pro and 260 pro have adjustable oilers, so you can vary the flow to the bar. I believe the only other difference between them is the pro ones have a decomp as well. I have never heard of a computer controlled oiler, there are computer controlled carbs. The 261 has them on the c and cm versions. It is a completely different saw than an 026/260.

True, as far as I know, but the Pro designation wasn't used on all markets. The unadjustable oilers could be either crank driven (oils all the time the engine runs, and makes a real mess at idle), or they can be the better clutch driven ones, that only oils when when the chain is moving (the clutch drum and drive sprocket really).
Here, the "simplest" ones often were called FB (farm boss) (same with the 036/360), and the "Pro" designation wasn't used.
Information collector.

kellysguy

Thanks guys that's what I figured. I guess it's just typical internet pundit BS with folks writing about stuff but not knowing all of the facts. Seems they may have gotten screwed up with the computer carb and as it passed along it became the oiler too.

Next thing you know Stihl will have a new considerable "Snake eyed" model that can saw the log before it touches  wood.  :D

shinnlinger

I have a 260 and it does NOT have a computerized oiler if that means anything. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ZeroJunk

I have read some threads where people have changed the non adjustable pump to adjustable. Had to drill the adjustment hole through the plastic and perhaps even the crankcase depending on vintage. I can't imagine it being worth the trouble. Most people run them wide open anyway.

SawTroll

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 11, 2015, 04:57:49 PM
I have a 260 and it does NOT have a computerized oiler if that means anything.
No saws that I know of has.  :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!