iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any advice on sawing short logs?

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 11, 2015, 08:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Any advice on cutting short (under 8') logs? I have a customer who wants me to cut a hodge-podge of logs for him. Wants some short locusts cut into 4X4's to use for fence posts (I suggested quarter rounds or halves but he is adamant wants 4X4's).

He also has a couple of pretty cherry logs that fell in a bad windstorm almost 3 years ago. One is only is 6'6" long. It looks solid and he says he has rotated it periodically to help keep it from rotting.

I see the clamping points (1") are 8" apart on my mill. The hydraulic clamp base has a square edge that is about 5/8" and just under 5' from the normal clamping point. I may try to put a 1/4" shim under it to raise it a little but still stay under 1" so I can still use the measurement guide/warning and don't saw into it and use it more as a clamp base for short logs.

Anybody else had experience cutting short logs and have a good solution to the clamping issues?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Sometimes you can place an 8' "sacrificial" board behind the short log to help hold the backside.

When I see that there will be an unusual amount of handling time, I charge "hourly rate".  If billed by bf rate, I scale it 8'.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Not sure how your back stops are on your mill, mine has the two outer ones that are hydraulic, and two manual ones inside these.  As MM mentioned a backer board can be used to aid in clamping.  Most of the time I just go into the manual mind set and use the manual back stops. No shim, just center the log with the clamp and make sure that the blade will clear the back stops.  Once you have  a square it's just a matter of sawing as usual.  just make sure the back stops are below the blade path!  It is a lil bit of a pain, but one that comes around every now and again.  Quartering logs does not usually work that well for me, as they seem to release stress and bow and twist more than desired.  Pricing is whatever you can handle and agree with your customer.  I bet you both will be surprised in what comes from these shorties, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Many times a customer will have some shorts left over from a sawing job.  Just bucked off ends and miscellaneous "what-nots" which certainly are not logs.  It is my normal to have the customer roll them them up and "lets see what is inside".  I'll saw slabs, halves, ovals, or cookies as a gift to the customer's wife.  It's just a "no charge" fun time that always pleases the customer (and his wife).  Of course, I am pleased when I get a nice tip.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I hate sawing short logs.

When I have a customer that wants stuff shorter than 8.5', for example, he wants 6' logs sawed, I'll tell them to cut them 12' long, then after it's sawed, he can cut the lumber to length!

Much easier.     
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

Short Logs
I like cutting short logs for my own use.
The handling and processing is easier, along with drying and processing after drying.

These Red Oak logs were 66" and 54" and I used all of them building this!

The shorter lumber is easier to prep and finish and handle in the shop. I seldom cut any of my hardwood over 8; lengths. Just me, YMMV      8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Dad2FourWI

Andy, those pics are very nice and the end result is beautiful!!!

I too like the shorter logs... but I think that is because it is "easier" for me. The longer logs require that we look them over very carefully and plan out for the curves, knots, etc. (maybe we need to mill better logs!!!!!  :D :D  )

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

mesquite buckeye

If we ever get an 8' mesquite log, we think we are in hawg heaven. ;D ;D ;D 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAB

When I'm milling short logs I keep some spacers and wedges near by to adjust the logs or split the taper.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

drobertson

GAB brought up a good point, one I thought about discussing but left out,  so many of these shorty's have crotches with limbs, this coupled with the natural taper of the beast, there is a need for analyzing the taper and what can come from taper sawing or not.  Wedging most often happens and should not be discounted.  Short logs have piles of character, and I feel should be handled as such.  It never is considered a production situation, but rather a recovery one.  The end result, if the logs are solid are very rewarding for all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Short logs can be OK, but out on a production job, they are very time consuming for me anyways!

It's about like sawing stuff that's under 8" diameter, or over 40", time consuming.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

I had already told the customer the only way I could see to bill for the job would be hourly because of the mish mash he has to cut. Big maple down 3 years with a knot that looks like half the log may be bad. Eastern cedar that is from 3" to 10" diameter he wants cut into half inch sheets (strips?). Dry locust posts to be turned into 4X4s. Some 3 year old poplar 10" diameter to make 2X4s (I told him I cut up some scrap like that size for my son and only yielded about 15 - 2X4s). The 6.5' cherry with another cherry log about 14' that is pretty except it does have a good bit of sweep.

Oh well, we will see what we can salvage out of it. May regret it before it is all over.

I'll try the scrap board technique to see if that helps in clamping short stuff.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kingcha

I have a friend that wants a short piece from a champion tree cut up so I started experimenting.   It still needs a little more work but I worked OK.

A little fine tuning is all it needs but the boards came out good overall
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Kingcha

The jig I made would probably work even better on a 5 or 6 foot log.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

sealark37

A co-worker once asked to borrow my chainsaw to buck some logs his grandfather had stored in the barn.  Not wishing to have my saw abused, I took it to his farm on Saturday to cut the logs for him.  Much to my dismay, his neighbor had already cut it into 24" blocks for splitting.  The good/bad news was that it was walnut and cherry.  I explained why I wanted the blocks, and offered to deliver a load of split wood in exchange for a load of the blocks.  At the time, I did not have access to a sawmill, but a friend and I sawed them with a Granberg chainsaw mill.  It was frustrating and dangerous, but the operation produced s sizeable pile of strikingly beautiful SHORT boards.  I sold and gifted out of this stash for years.  Don't give up too easy on short logs.  Regards, Clark

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2015, 08:57:40 PM
I hate short logs.

Benches......I sell 3 and 4 foot bench slabs. I love them.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I've sawn my fair share of them, and yes it is a pain, but a job, and as mentioned previously some very nice lumber comes from many of them.  To the question, and I believe wv caught the drift,  no one wants to saw them, but, sounds like they need to be sawn, so, hate it or not, I always say waste not want not,(old saying) ;D  many times I have done these pain in the rear, and am never disappointed in the outcome, and neither is the customer.  This said, I would not want to make a living sawing them, but figure it part of making a living sawing them,  poor man poor ways (another old saying)  ;D   got some run of the mill cedar unloaded this evening, lots of folds and ingrown bark, and I will produce whatever they produce,  when I get to them,,

soutz

I do heaaaaps of shorts.

profitable ,and different.

beenthere

soutz
Pls click on your forum name, and it will take you to where you can add your location in your profile.

Nice when we read your contributions, to know where a'bouts you are at.  tks.

I'd assume you take note when reading others' posts, where they are located.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

Kingcha, that's a nice jig you set up.  I may have to build something like that.  Usually, I throw a short board across the bunks and use a sacrificial board against the stops.  Nice, large, round logs are one thing, but crotches & stumps require a little thinking!

But worth it!

Nice work, Andy!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2015, 08:57:40 PM
I hate short logs.

Too much setup and cut time to get any board feet and sells cheaper than long pieces if at all. :(
These are money losers for me unless I can cut them fast for slabs or leg blanks.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Easy ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!