iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheeling and dealing

Started by roveron, May 10, 2015, 05:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roveron

I've been lurking for a while so figured I'd go ahead and post.
I was visiting my brother in VA last month and he had some trees to take down. I hadn't taken any of my saws with me so I found an 025 on CL for $150. It was in good shape and ran well, so I figured what the heck.

When I got back to Georgia the town where I live was having a "free" trash pickup day (anything you put out they will take) so my wife and I were driving around seeing what we could find. I saw a Poulon saw someone had put out so I grabbed it.

I figured they'd probably run straight gas in it or something since it wasn't heavily worn.
Well, I got it home and it fired right up. I adjusted the chain, checked the oil and cut a couple of the oak logs in the pic.
Cleaned it up good and sold it a day or two later on CL for $90 and so paid for most of my 025.
Tom
031, 025, 038M. 075

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

mad murdock

Welcome aboard roveron. Most of my saws are freebies or gotten for cheap from the local dealer's bone pile. I like. Fixing up old saws, there is a satisfaction from fixing up what someone deems as garbage, and using it to do something significant. I Like me some yeller saws!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

roveron,welcome to the forum. I love the driving around to see what we could find part.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NotEnoughTime

"...my wife and I were driving around seeing what we could find."

Oh man, you are lucky.  My wife catches me eyeing stuff put out by the side of the road and warns me to keep driving.
HM130 with extended 18' trailer + boat winch, homemade log arch, oak ramps, cant hook and lots of leverage.

Al_Smith

If people find out you collect them in very short order you will be up to your hip pockets in chainsaws, weed wackers ,blowers .
More times than not whatever is wrong with them is a simple fix .

sawguy21

:D Isn't that the truth! A number of my saws have come that way, I got a Husky L65 the young feller wouldn't use because it doesn't have a chain brake. I have never paid more than $75 for a saw and that was only because they were in particularly good condition.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I never had a brake  on any saw until mid 70's on a Mac PM 610 .I can't honestly say I've ever used the brake on any of them .I've lost the parts to them though .Then they don't work at all .

Al_Smith

I've paid more than 75 bucks but those were rare, classic or able to be reworked into a hot runner.Any more it's got to catch my eye before I'm even interested  in them . I'm  a knee deep in them and it might take me the next three years to get them all running but I'm certain they all did at one time or another .

Magicman

This is what could happen to your upper are if you are sawing with a Homelite XL12 and hit some hidden fence wire.  The kickback was instant.  16 stitches.

I will never use either of the XL12's again because they do not have a chain brake.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

There was a fellow from work years ago that was clearing some logs from a log jam on a river along his property. He was in some awkward position and had the saw kick back and struck him in his face. The brake had stopped the chain by the time it hit him but it still did a fair bit of damage. The teeth cut in at an angle across his face. He was very fortunate the chain wasn't spinning!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Cord_Nipper

I've got a cousin who was a light wheel vehicle mechanic in the army.
When he lived on post, both Ft Jackson and Ft Campbell, anything out by the curb with a motor he would stop and snag.
Mowers, saw, weed eaters.
Most just needed carb work. So. After he had a good supply of used items, he would take them to the flea market and rent a stall.
Nice little way to supplement his income.

sawguy21

And it kept him out of the mess. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

The worst cut I ever got was when a customer had me fallin' trees and bucking in a dry (mostly) river bed. I had two saws nearby on the ground behind me, tripped on some trash and fell back on one of the saws. It laid my hand wide open.

Point being, even a saw not running sitting with a sharp chain can be a danger!

Kevin 

Thank You Sponsors!