iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow!!!...

Started by HiTech, May 10, 2015, 09:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

might have a job cleaning up the woods. A large tract of land was logged and apparently just the log was taken and the rest of the tree left. No chipping. The landowner is a little upset. For the firewood I would clean up the woods and redo the trails. They left whole trees on the ground...wasn't a log in them but plenty of firewood. That will keep the C4 and dozer busy all summer...maybe longer. lol Will know more later this month. I thought everyone chipped today but apparently not.

lumberjack48

I've cleaned up blocks like this for the Co, and a few private land owners. Some loggers took the best of the best and lift the rest. Then some loggers didn't know how to salvage all the logs and saw bolts out of a stand of hardwood. This is when they'd call me in, to clean up the mess. Being a gypo logger the better part of my life, having to bid on timber sales, you learn how to salvage every saw bolt.
  On a track of land like that you should get a lot of saw bolts and of course firewood. Some of the firewood trees will have one or two saw bolts on the butt end. But then some of the bigger crocked firewood trees might make a saw bolt on the third cut. When a tree is perfectly straight i'd cut saw bolts down to seven inch's.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HiTech

I have a feeling that there will be salvageable trees/logs. Looks like they wanted the best and leave the rest. Some big lumber company probably got the bid and paid by the thousand to get the logs out. Get em cut and move on to the next job.

Logger003

I also do jobs like this all the dry wood goes as firewood if I can get a straight log 12 or 16 feet at 5 inches i will take it as a saw log and cut it 3 inches wide for bull rails. I have a pretty good market for those

thecfarm

The logger that I use does not chip. But he takes out the small stuff,tops. There is some short stuff that is left,but I burn wood and I am cleaning that up.
Too bad that land owner did not check the loggers past jobs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

So...

taint no market for chips here, only the one pulp mill and they get enough from the big outfits.

Firewood is a racket without a processor, or at the least a delimber.

I could sell firewood loads but I would have to spend way to much time just limbing the tops, figure 5 log loads for 1 log load of fire would (7-8 full cords). Doing so would take me three days to limb the tops. For about $300. or I could cut and hand split the firewood and get 1600 but it would take 8 days or more and a couple of stops at the chiropractor...

So until I get some kind of delimber set up the tops get piles and left, to be burned or chipped and hauled away at cost.

Anyway... thats here

About a mile from home some folks had a company clear cut some nice timber, took the first 36-40' log and left the rest, firewooders got most of it, this timber could easily make 3-30's or 2 36's and a 26' talking 2-3 times the loads being shipped out.  Along with tops that could have been limbed and sent off as fire wood or pulp.  Twas a sad sight to see. and I get to drive by it just about every day.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!