iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberline sharpeners

Started by OH logger, May 08, 2015, 09:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

any pros use these? are they as good as a regular old round file in the hands of an experienced filer?
john

beenthere

Been discussed before and I would doubt any pro's or experienced filer would spend the time using one. But it looks like a very carefully made jig with some precision sharpening capability.

https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

Are you thinking of trying one?

About a year ago they were discussed here......
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75232.msg1140878.html#msg1140878

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Friend has one and doesn't like it.  Says the mounts aren't sturdy enough and something something  ...
Boy, back in my day..

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

John Mc

I have one friend who has one and likes it. He says it's pretty fool proof, which is a good thing in his case (his words, not mine).  I've not had the opportunity to try it. I doubt I'd spend $125 + shipping to try one out. The file and guides I'm using now are doing a fine job. I suppose if I did get the chance to try it, and it made a world of difference in the time it takes to hand sharpen or in the quality of the result, I might consider it.

It comes standard with a jig for a 30˚ angle. You can buy another jig that will let you do either 25˚ or 35˚ angles.  It does NOT have any provision for doing the 10˚ "down angle" that some chains recommend.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

CCC4

Looks interesting. I used to have the Oregon jig about 16 years ago, it worked well and I think probably set a good foundation to learning to file. The main thing is ending up with a properly filed chain...whether that comes from a jig or by freehand. In my opinion one never needs to feel embarrassed for using a jig...it seems a huge percentage of people who run a chainsaw can't file a chain worth a darn.

Wudman

I really like mine.  Touch your chains up regularly and it will do an excellent job.  I get a much more consistent job with the Timberline than I do freehand. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Piston

I ordered this jig last week and am excited to try it out. 

I have been hand filing for a few years now and getting pretty decent results as long as I don't knick a rock or hit something I wasn't supposed to hit.  I understand how to file the chain and depth gauges but I just wasn't getting that perfect sharpening job anymore, after beating up the chain a bit. 

I decided to bring my chains in to the dealer and have him sharpen them to get them back in order.  I brought in 9 chains and it cost me $135 dollars  :o :o :o

I bought the Timberline Sharpener the next day online.  I figure I'll probably hand file for 2 or 3 times and then use the jig, depending on how I like it. 

I'm also a sucker for fine tools, and this looks like a very nice quality tool.  I'm still not sure how I'll file the depth gauges down though.  I use the Carlton File O Plate on my full comp chains, but I have 2 full skip chains for my 25" bar and supposedly it only works with full comp?

Anyone using the Timberline Jig with full skip chain?  What do you use for the depth gauges? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Mc

I think what Piston is looking for is a jig to use with his flat file to get the proper height for the depth gauges: like a Carlton File-o-plate that works with Full Skip chains.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

york

Hi,i have one and would rather use a file-in there vid. they make it look easy to set up and use,but i am always in a hurry-would rather stay with file.....

Anyone who wants mine,free,pm me.....
Albert

Piston

Quote from: york on May 31, 2015, 07:52:14 AM
Hi,i have one and would rather use a file-in there vid. they make it look easy to set up and use,but i am always in a hurry-would rather stay with file.....

Anyone who wants mine,free,pm me.....

PM Sent....  ;D
-Matt

4x4American

Quote from: John Mc on May 30, 2015, 07:55:51 AM
I think what Piston is looking for is a jig to use with his flat file to get the proper height for the depth gauges: like a Carlton File-o-plate that works with Full Skip chains.

I use a drop center depth gauge for rakers.  I run full skip on a few saws and it works fine for me. 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Files-Filing-Accessories/Depth-Guage-Maintenance-Tools/Oregon-Depth-Gauge-Tool-025-Center-Drop.axd

Or one of these would work too
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Files-Filing-Accessories/Depth-Guage-Maintenance-Tools/Oregon-Depth-Gauge-Tool-030.axd
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!