iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rippers on JD 450/550 or Cat D3/D4 sized dozer

Started by wfcjr, May 08, 2015, 01:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfcjr

Wondering if anyone has experience running parallelogram rippers on a JD450/550 or similar sized dozer.

I do not need a winch for hauling in logs, since I have one on my tractor.   Dozer will be used primarily to repair logging trails/roads, build new ones, and help with clearing 1-2 acre patches after they have been logged off & prior to cultivating/planting.  Thinking about a 5 slot parallelogram ripper attachment with 3-5 ripper posts inserted at any given time.

I do not want to use the rippers to rip through rock or ledge.  Will move bigger rocks with tractor or excavator, or when possible work around them.   The thinking is that the rippers would be helpful in roughing up existing trails and prior to repair and give the front blade something to work with.  Also for new trails would be similarly helpful in roughing up the trail bed prior to blading and also surfacing rocks that I can push out of the way or pick up with either a tractor or excavator.

If you think about how a box blade works, the scarifiers rough up the surface, break up clods etc. and then the rear blade on the box comes along immediately behind to smooth out the surface & spread material.   Along the same lines, was thinking about using the ripper as a sort of scarifier.  The only difference is that instead of the rear box blade coming along immediately behind, you have to make a separate pass with the front dozer blade. 

If I don't dig too deeply or aggressively, I am assuming that the rippers will not be too abusive on this size machine and its drives.

What am I missing and/or where am I going wrong? 

Thanks,

beenthere

May be right, "IF" you don't dig too deep.

But what is going to happen when you "DO" dig too deep?
Lucky if you just bring the dozer to an abrupt stop. But a little less lucky if just a tooth breaks off. But real unlucky if that rear end casting breaks.

Don't really know how deep some immovable objects are until you actually encounter them.

I might be wrong, but 5 rippers seem too many for ripping unknown ground. Different if the 5 rippers are tearing up an old highway base or blacktop that has had all the big stuff removed at a prior time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

i knew of a couple 450c's years ago with the tool bar on them. what you are calling a ripper. i dont believe there was ever a real ripper on a 450. they took them off saying they were useless. once you get so you can run that new excatator you wount need a dozer or want one

Holmes

X2 on the excavator situation. They are a lot more fun than a dozer.
Think like a farmer.

wfcjr

Quote from: Holmes on May 08, 2015, 07:33:22 PM
  X2 on the excavator situation. They are a lot more fun than a dozer.

Agree that the ex is very handy.  Has already seen some good use and will see more this weekend.
But looking hard at a used dozer for trail work.

Thanks,

Stuart Caruk

I built a parallel shank ripper for an International 500C several years back. I used 3 removable shanks cut from 1 1/4" thick T1 plate with a flame cut beveled edge. It worked great for ripping. I even made a 36" long tooth that I ran in the center slot as a static plow for installing primary electrical cables and phone line over distances of a couple miles. I didn't have the traction to do it in one shot, but I could pre rip the ground and lay the cable easily, or occasionally I'd just use my RD7 to help pull the cable and do it all in one shot. A parallel shank system gives more mounting points and it's really secure. It also formed the basis to mount cable spool holders, and even a pin on forklift mast. That yielded me with a go (almost) anywhere forklift that worked very well.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

sealark37

My Cat 943 loader has a ripper on it.  I have been trying to locate one or two used ripper shanks to use, but have not found any.  I am almost afraid to price a couple of new ones.  My tractor has the same engine, (3204) as the D-3/4 dozer, so you should have the power and traction for a shank or two.  Regards, Clark

Brokermike

I had a Case 450C with rippers on the back. My intentions were exactly the same as yours. I found them to be pretty worthless and they put a lot of strain on those sprockets when they catch a stump!

I would find a nice Komatsu D37 or similar with hydro tranny and brush rake for the blade. I've already been down the road you're thinking of going.
Don't Jersey Vermont

Thank You Sponsors!