iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today Is VE Day

Started by submarinesailor, May 08, 2015, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Today is VE Day - Victory in Europe.  70 years ago today. 

It's a good day to remember the "Greatest Generation."   smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping  Please remember those who have gone before us and the few remaining veterans for that time period.  They are leaving us a rate of over 1,000 per day.  Remember them!

Bruce Byrd
MTCS(SS) USN Retired

fishpharmer

Thanks for the reminder Bruce.  My grandfather is long gone, he served in Europe.  Thanks to all that served! smiley_clapping
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Youngest daughter's father-in-law served in Europe in Italy. He was the target of a sniper in the southern Italy hills they were trying to take. Had his wallet with dog tag in his breast pocket and discovered a bullet hole in the coat, through the wallet and a dent in the dog tag. Still has wallet and dog tag and shows it to anyone who stops for a visit.
Another veteran in our Church was in the European theater and lost both legs below the knees. Didn't know it for a long time, as he limped a bit but never talked about it.
Very different this day and age what our troops go through than in the WWII battles, but still nothing one would want to wish on anyone.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

I was lucky enough to have dinner at the local vfw post last night as they were honoring my oldest daughter for winning 1st place in their patriotic art contest. It was a great night with truly wonderful people!!!               To all the veterans... 
   THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE    smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

tree-farmer

Dad was a combat medic in ww2, he served in Patton's 6th armored. He never talked about the war much and would only say,"nobody wins a war". He saw things as a 20 yr. old that no one should ever see. I think he had post stress, but  they did not have a name for it then. Later in life he looked for relief in a bottle. He is gone now, but from his life I know not all victims of war die from bombs and bullets, some are from a broken soul.
He did the best he could given the hand he was delt.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

samandothers

Yes Thanks to all those that serve and served! 

Dad was in Italy at Anzio and was wounded there. He rejoined unit after they were moved in to southern France.  He was last wounded 3 miles from German border.  He did communications work. As others state he did not talk about it much.

thecfarm

My Faher was very lucky. He was in the states alot and spent time in Italy and Greece. I read about the horrors of war in the paper yesterday. Thanks to all that was there and all that are serving our country now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!