iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conway Cleveland Lumber/Board Rule, 3 or 4 Line

Started by den, May 07, 2015, 08:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

den

Do you prefer the 3 (#300N) or 4 (#400N) line rule and why ?
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Ron Wenrich

I prefer the 4 line.  It gives 8', 10', 12' & 14' on one side.  That takes care of a whole lot of lumber at one glance.  On the back side, it has 9', 11', 13', & 15'.  You should be able to grade and measure all lengths of standard lumber using that rule.  The 3 line only has even lengths.

I also found the 36" the most comfortable to use. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

drobertson

4 line as well, but don't use it much these days, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

den

I take it that not many people use them.

Or is it a gadget for someone that has everything.  ;D
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

beenthere

Those who are scaling and tallying lumber will use them.

den: How do you do it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Those that use an accurate scale of lumber and grade will use them.  If you understand how to grade hardwood, you'll find them really valuable.  We had markets that used a layer count to determine volume.  Other markets we simply sold to them and allowed them to grade.  You have to know who you can trust when you do that.  Its often wise to do a check on them every so often. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

I have had a 3 line 39" for many years, but I have never seen one in use.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!