iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Tree Identification help

Started by hooked82, May 07, 2015, 02:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooked82

I want to start out that I'm new here, been looking around for the past week or so and registered so I can contribute, etc.  Looking forward to the info and collaboration here and will be posting some future topics as I start to plan out my Bandsaw mill build, etc.

Anyways, on to my question.  I've got access to a free "Black" Walnut tree that I would like to get started into getting my own lumber milled/dried, but after looking at the tree, getting input from a few people, I believe that it may not be a Black Walnut tree.  As  you'll see, the tree is on the smaller end, but I gotta start somewhere and I love to work with Walnut!

The reason that it was originally believed to be a black walnut tree was because the lady thought it was that.  She also said she knew this as it would drop black walnuts in the late summer.  As you can see in the pictures below, the walnuts aren't black, so maybe there was another Walnut tree nearby that I didn't notice?  Or she just didn't quite remember.

I'm thinking it's either an English Walnut or Black Walnut, what are your thoughts?

To note, the picture below with a branch cut in half was cut off of a previously cutoff branch, so I'm not sure if the coloration has to do with rot, etc.

(admin note.  Pics removed. Your photos must reside in the Forestry Forum Gallery)

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hooked82.  I am not a tree identifying person and I do not know where the Walnuts came from, but not from the tree pictured in the last picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum too.

The nuts you show look like English walnut nuts. Not Black walnut nuts.

Not sure how all the pics fit together, but suspect they are not all from the same tree. You can clarify if important.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

The bark, flowers and large amount of sapwood reminds me of the Chinese Walnut that we have growing here in NZ, Juglans mandshurica.

It's grown as an ornamental all over the world. The nuts are smaller, round and hard as rock. Edible, but hardly worth the effort of busting them open.  ::)

But I'm not positive, and there are also about a dozen other species, hybrids etc.

So to me, it does look like a walnut (Juglans species). I'm just not sure exactly which one.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hooked82

Quote from: beenthere on May 07, 2015, 03:39:11 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum too.

The nuts you show look like English walnut nuts. Not Black walnut nuts.

Not sure how all the pics fit together, but suspect they are not all from the same tree. You can clarify if important.

All the pictures in my post are from the same tree.  The only thing that didn't come directly off of the tree by myself, were the nuts and flowers.  Those I found on the ground under the tree.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Shows what I know, but then I have never knowingly seen an English Walnut tree or log.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Left Coast Chris

English Walnut.  Does not look like Heartly, Vina, Chandler varieties.   It also does not look like it is grafted to a black walnut or paradox root stock.  Likely an English Walnut seedling.   Any other English Walnuts in the neighborhood?   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ianab

The good news is, all the walnut species will produce useful wood. May not be quite as well coloured as the Black Walnut, but it's still usable from the hobby woodwork point of view.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

Welcome to the forum hooked82, all I was going to say is that it doesn't look like our black walnut here, WDH is really good at this game along with many others here so I try to learn from them  :).  Hang around there's a lot of knowledgeable folks here more than willing to help.

hooked82

Thanks, everybody.  I'm still working through finding somebody to fell the tree and then where I'll get it milled at.  What's the best way to find these services locally?  I've looked at Woodmizer and there aren't many portable bandsaw mills locally.  I have a few in mind, but will need to deliver the tree to them.

Currently I'm just looking through Craigslist to find somebody to come give me a quote, but haven't found too many in the area yet.  Maybe I just need to do more looking/calling around.

hooked82

I made another trip out to the tree to have somebody give me an estimate to fell the tree.  He said he'll do it for $100 and he's licensed/bonded/insured, so that's great.

I also took a few more pictures of the leaves as they are now quite a bit larger.  It's more than likely an English Walnut, but a possibility it could be in the Hickory family.  Either way, I guess I'll figure it out once it comes down! 

In most cases, there were 7 leaflets per compound leaf, some had 5, but I think those were still in the process of growing further.

NOTE FROM ADMIN: IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

beenthere

Need your pics in your gallery, per the forum rules (bottom of the page).  Just FYI

bt
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Actually, hickory is in the walnut family. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

hooked82,welcome to the forum. This should do it for the pictures.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture or posting a comment. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hooked82

Why did my reply's pictures get removed?  I  moved them to the gallery, but forgot about the ones in the original post.

John Mc

Once they are in your gallery, you have to add them to your post from the gallery
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!