iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Put a new motor on the Edger today

Started by Percy, May 07, 2015, 04:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

A 28hp Subaru fuel injected....has serious hormones compared to the 24 hp honda that replaced the 25 hp kohler the edger came with. The FI engines dont ice up like the carb engines do around here on cold wet days

DEad Honda.....came offa my Warrens sons Peterson in 2011. Put it on the edger "temporarily" about then...It was ready to die back then...Tough stuff but was severly wimpy the last few months

I modded my edger to take 4 inch thick cants. This motor eats them up. On  the pecker poles, two cuts with the lt70 at 4 inches thick and thru the edger gives me 4x4 and 4x6 quick, specially with a grunt. Resaw cants to taste.....

Nuthin to do with my edger....heh......this is my chopsaw setup. Two sliding 12 inch saws exactly 12 feet 2 inches apart. the whole thing is on casters and can be moved anywheres it will fit. To trim  a 20 foot board is easy, trim, slide 6 feet, trim. Done...no more three stooges with the lumber scene anymore....note unfinished solar kiln in the background.........I gotta finish that some day
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

47sawdust

Percy,
I like the Subaru on the edger.I have the same edger with the original Kohler,now I know what to do when it gives up the ghost.Curious how you modified the edger for 4'' cants?
Cross cut set up is slick,3 stooges must be disappointed though!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

woodmills1

I have a subaroo on the multitek, but the 28 kolher FI on my edger is the smoothest small engine I have.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Peter Drouin

Percy, You cut the tin up higher on the edger don't the 4" hit the bar that hold the  kickback fingers? I see it all shiny.

And don't the lumber fall off the sides of the rollers I see behind the chop table?
I have been looking to do something like that, but with sides so the lumber will push itself down the line and fall off the end into a crib.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Percy

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 07, 2015, 05:57:21 PM
I have a subaroo on the multitek, but the 28 kolher FI on my edger is the smoothest small engine I have.
Ya, the kohler was my first choice but between the  800.00 price difference and the two week wait, I went for the Subaru. Has great power. I was not dissapointed...we'll see how long it lasts...heh......

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 07, 2015, 06:29:26 PM
Percy, You cut the tin up higher on the edger don't the 4" hit the bar that hold the  kickback fingers? I see it all shiny.

And don't the lumber fall off the sides of the rollers I see behind the chop table?
I have been looking to do something like that, but with sides so the lumber will push itself down the line and fall off the end into a crib.
Bein the dangerous hillbilly I am, I normally have the kickback fingers disabled with a wire thingie that holds them in the useless position, hense the shiney parts showing....Dinnt wanna get scolded by all the right minded folks here....heh.....never hadda kickback ever......but........

THose rollers you mention are 18 inches wide and lined up accurately....sorta....... and are downstream from the powered rollcase... 90 % of the time a cant/slab/whatever stays on track....it works well or Ida changed it with something more dangerous... :D :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!