iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

VA Solar kiln class

Started by Robert Owens, May 05, 2015, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Owens

VA tech has a solar kiln class coming up on May 29. Has anyone attended the class? I think I'll call tomorrow to find out exactly what they cover. Cost is not bad but they don't give any info on the site. Just wanting to know if it's worth the cost and drive?

Dan_Shade

I attended a seminar by Brian Bond a few years ago, it was informative.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I have worked with Brian Bond.  He and I taught a solar class for the Sawmill & Woodlot magazine Shoot Out.  I think that Brian does an excellent job.  As proof, look that the Virginia Tech solar kiln article that he wrote; the quality of this document reflects his care and knowledge.  Now, if you have kiln already, you might find that the class will seem a bit slow as you will already know the beginners' stuff.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Robert Owens

I was able to talk to Brian Bond through email and I'll be taking the Dry Kiln course on May 29. I am really looking forward to this and hope to build my first kiln this summer on a hay wagon frame so it will be movable as I have lumber cut and air drying at both my farms. Hopefully, any mistakes and shortcomings I may have will be learned through the first one and then I will build a permanent one that will hold both longer and more board feet of lumber. Thanks for the recommendations for the class.

Robert Owens

I am back home from Va. Tech and am very happy with the content from the Dry Kiln class. Thank you Brian and Erich for a job well done. I feel very comfortable now with starting my solar dry kiln project. The wood science portion of the class was informative and a great review as it has been more  than 25 years since taking a similar class as part of my under grad requirements. One week of school remaining and then I'm free for five weeks, hope I can get it completed in that time. I met some great people during the class and learned a lot from all involved.

samandothers

Look forward to a build thread!?!   ;D

I took the class several years ago.  have not built a kiln yet.  One of these days!

Thank You Sponsors!