iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Asparagus season has started

Started by 21incher, May 05, 2015, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

The asparagus have finally started growing. For some reason this year they are extremely sweet. We are picking about 4 lbs a day now and eating them as fast as we can. Tonight I threw some on the grill to go with my hickory smoked hot wings.

I guess we will be living on asparagus for the next couple of weeks.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Glenn1

That platter of wings and asparagus looks awfully good.  Enjoy your feast!!
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Magicman

My Mom never could have a meal with Asparagus.  She kept breaking off the young shoots and eating them raw.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I could make a meal out of those wings. That other stuff,I would let you fill up on that.  ;D My Father loved asparagus. And I do mean love. We had 2 beds going at one time here. He finally planted enough to get his full of it. I helped him plant the second bed. Memories. I would help him cut it,but that's all I wanted of that stuff. More left for me,he would say.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2015, 07:19:41 PM
My Mom never could have a meal with Asparagus.  She kept breaking off the young shoots and eating them raw.    ;D
We eat them in the garden also, but they grow so fast you could never keep up. We have about 40 plants that were put in 8 years ago and we will wind up with atleast 80 lbs in the next 2 weeks.
Quote from: thecfarm on May 05, 2015, 09:57:16 PM
I could make a meal out of those wings. That other stuff,I would let you fill up on that.  ;D My Father loved asparagus. And I do mean love. We had 2 beds going at one time here. He finally planted enough to get his full of it. I helped him plant the second bed. Memories. I would help him cut it,but that's all I wanted of that stuff. More left for me,he would say.
So it sounds like no grits or asparagus for you  ;D
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 05, 2015, 09:59:32 PM
Dat look like BBQ BATS!
If only bats tasted that good, but you are right. :)
Quote from: Glenn1 on May 05, 2015, 07:16:32 PM
That platter of wings and asparagus looks awfully good.  Enjoy your feast!!
Thanks, we did.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandhills

I suffer from the same affliction as Magic Man's mom, but dad cut me a bag full the other day so some did make it to dinner  :).

BradMarks

Good looking stuff there!  The common myth about asparagus is the skinny ones are the best, most tender. NOT TRUE. The fat ones taste better, more tender, and fill the basket faster. Our crop is not faring so great this year due to lack of moisture - we have had a relatively dry winter and spring. I have started watering already and the beds have started to produce better.

Den Socling

We have been eating a lot of asparagus steamed slightly with butter and lemon it's delicious!

21incher

Quote from: BradMarks on May 06, 2015, 12:33:38 PM
Good looking stuff there!  The common myth about asparagus is the skinny ones are the best, most tender. NOT TRUE. The fat ones taste better, more tender, and fill the basket faster. Our crop is not faring so great this year due to lack of moisture - we have had a relatively dry winter and spring. I have started watering already and the beds have started to produce better.
I have to agree with you about the fat ones being better. We don't bother to cut the skinny ones, just let them grow into the fern. We had at least 3 feet of snow on our bed this winter and they are the sweetest ones we have ever grown. We are going to try and pressure can a batch to see if they can be enjoyed in the off season. :)

21incher

Quote from: Den Socling on May 06, 2015, 05:46:47 PM
We have been eating a lot of asparagus steamed slightly with butter and lemon it's delicious!
Coated with olive oil and some Jane's crazy salt then grilled is my favorite way to eat them. A little squeeze of lemon sounds good, I'll have to try that on the next batch. :)

21incher

I am now getting a diner plate like this twice a day. They just keep getting bigger, sweeter, and juicier.

Boy do I love them grilled. The chives have also gotten big enough to pick for use on the bakers. If only I could find some good corn.

digin_2

gww

Does anyone but me put a whole bunch of rock salt over their aspargus plants.  It kills most of the weeds and the asparagus seems to love it.
gww

sandhills

I've never heard of that, all I ever get is wild asparagus I don't grow any.  Any idea why it likes the salt?

beenthere

It is not that the asparagus "likes" salt, but the weeds for sure don't and become weak or die.
And from what I understand, the weeds have surface roots whereas the asparagus has deep roots so are less affected by the salt.
Other things like a layer of mulch keeps weed roots shallow, and weeding is still a good thing so they don't establish deep roots.
Something like that anyway.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have never heard of the salt treatment, but since the salt will never break down and go away, that particular area is forever salted.  Caution might be advised.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have heard of the salt,but never tried it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gww

Magic
Good point on making land fallow.  Its probly an old wives tale but I heard aspargus is part of the seaweed family and liked salt.  I tried it and it didn't seem to hurt the aspargus but I would never suggest poeple do what I do, I was just curious if anyone did. 
good luck
gww

21incher

I live in an agricultural district and the use of any salt on the roads in the winter is banned due to the fact that the runoff can cause damage to the soil. I would also worry that it could attract deer to the tender shoots. I will just stick to weeding and mulching my patch.  :)

21incher

Well tried pressure canning some today. I don't know how good they will be, but I think they will be real soft due to the processing time.

:)

BradMarks

Some fine looking jars.  I'd say homegrown "soft" asparagus will taste mighty good when fresh is out of season, certainly better than the imported fresh stuff. If you have any extra..... ;D

sawguy21

We have been getting really good asparagus locally, really sweet with no trace of bitterness. Den's method is one of our favorites along with drizzling with oil and grilling. It is also good raw in a salad.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bricklayer51

Planted some a month ago was given up on it growing looked yesterday a few spears are sticking threw the dirt.

21incher

Quote from: Bricklayer51 on May 16, 2015, 07:47:58 AM
Planted some a month ago was given up on it growing looked yesterday a few spears are sticking threw the dirt.
When I planted mine I let it grow for the first 2 seasons without picking any to get strong roots. Took about 4 years to get a good crop.

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 15, 2015, 11:08:00 PM
We have been getting really good asparagus locally, really sweet with no trace of bitterness. Den's method is one of our favorites along with drizzling with oil and grilling. It is also good raw in a salad.
Ours have also been exceptionally sweet this year also. I wonder if it has something to do with last winters cold weather. :)

Thank You Sponsors!