iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CIRCLE SAW GUIDES

Started by Gearbox, May 04, 2015, 09:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

I was wondering what you circle mill guy's are running for guides .  Now I think I have wood pegs maybe red oak . they are wearing faster than I think they should . I would think there must be a new hi tec guide material out there . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Stuart Caruk

Most of the local mills use babbit pads with lubricant and .0015" clearance per side. The high tech solution is an aluminum bronze wear pad. They run for a looooooong time, but they need to be at least 1 1/2 x as thick as a babbit pad, which means you need to make or modify the guides as well.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

beenthere

Seems if all the alignment is right, that you shouldn't be getting excessive wear on your wood guide pins.

But that is just a suspicion...

How many bdft production are you getting for your oak pegs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

They make a composite guide peg that you can get from a saw doc.  When I used wood, I used either locust or hickory, and I used the end cut whenever possible.  I remember seeing oil soaked leather on saw guides that old time sawyers used.  But, that technology is past.

If you're getting excessive wear, it could be a lead problem, your saw needs hammered, or your teeth need some attention.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

I use hardwood plugs that were boiled in oil pressed into "oillight" sintered brass bushings. Mine seem to last forever you can barely see the ride mark on the saw. If your hard into them theirs another problem. Really they should use a different term than guide. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Gearbox, that composite material Ron speaks of I think is best, my first mill used it but I couldn't find it for my current mill. Around me small circular mills are going the way of the doo-doo bird harder and harder to find mill supplies. Frank C.

Tripp

Gearbox

I have been using  Osage orange guides. I have a jar full soaking in oil. They last a very long time.

Tripp

Jim_Wahl

I think all the doo-doo birds moved to my place.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

steamsawyer

Hey Gearbox,

All I have ever used is wood... One time I got in a pinch and had to saw the end off of a post hole digger handle.  :D  That lasted for months.

I suspect you may have a lead issue. It took me a while and a lot of time getting my lead set up perfectly, but I rarely show any ware on the guide pins now.

Another thing that can cause problems is power. If you are losing speed and the blade gets floppy you can't keep the saw off of the guides. You may still be cutting decent lumber but your guides will have a shorter lifespan. The guides need to be close but not touching, they are only there to prevent the plate from wandering off into the carriage and sawing off a bunk. :o

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

dustyhat

Phenolic stick, its the material used. pipers saw shop here in Kentucky has it. if you cant find any closer to you , and they will ship it.

lyle niemi

I use broom stick handles and I very rarely have to touch them, I think you might have some alignment problems

Gearbox

Thanks guys . My lead is right on . The saw speed needs to be 600 for it to stand up . When you run a circle mill for a farm show with members tractors you just open the throttle and saw with the speed you got . The best I can get out of the 80 HP steam tractor is about 525 . NO I am not going to re hammer the saw . This mill will saw true as long as the guides are close and the saw is sharp . We saw a 2 to 3 thousand ft. in a weekend . Use all the lumber to add on to our show .Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bandmiller2

Gearbox, I would keep my eyes open for A "show saw" another saw hammered for a lower speed something with a heavy plate and few teeth that can hack under power tractors. A fella ought have a spare saw anyways. Frank C.

Gearbox

Bandmiller got one but the last operator ran off with about 10 locks & teeth . Need to go to Rice saw shop and get replacements . Gearbox

SPD748

My mill originally came with white oak (boiled in oil) guides. I replaced them with phenolic guides which, in my opinion, are far superior to wood. This being said, those wood guides held up through many a log. Keep in mind that my mill was owned and operated by a master sawyer with many decades of experience with this mill. He seemed to just know when something wasn't right and made the proper adjustments. I, on the other hand, am still learning  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

steamsawyer

Hey  Gearbox,

I know zacly what you are up against. I used to run the sawmill at the Florida Flywheelers show grounds. Me and two other members set that mill up and we originally ran it with the steam engine that is now on my sawmill. We had a 46" blade hammered for 500 rpm. My 1910 James Leffel 9 1/2 x10 engine, about 70 hp, would out pull the D8800 Cat that we put on later.

You have to realize that the saw guides are not there to actually guide the blade, but only to stabilize it if something else is wrong. If you can't keep the speed up to 600 rpm that the blade is tensioned for, your guides will not last no mater what you use. You also risk damage to the blade from overheating it at the rim, then you have no choice but to get it re hammered. You will be much better off to re tension your blade to a lower speed and maybe install other pulleys on your shaft for some different ratios to chose from for the old tractors.

Another thing about getting the speed down is that it makes the whole machine run smoother. It will get the feed rates down for the old equipment and make it more controllable for the often underpowered engines. I had two different pulleys on that mill to accommodate the old tractors.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

steamsawyer

Hey Gearbox,

I just re read your post #11.  It sounds like your pulley is too big. An 80 hp steam engine has plenty of power but its governor is no doubt going to limit the engine to 250 rpms or less. 250 is about max rpm for a steam engine of that size. I think if you downsize your arbor pulley just a little you can get the speed you need for your blade.

Can you tell us more about your mill.... make, blade size, number and stile of teeth. What wood do you cut mostly? See if you can get the diameter of the flywheel on your engine and we can calculate a pulley size for the arbor.

Alan

Alan Rudd

Gearbox

I can tell you what I need is a 17 inch pulley . With the high scrap prices those pulleys are turned into china I beams . Those old circle mills have gone the way of the doo doo bird . Including the one our family owned for 40 + years. Gearbox

Logger003

I use deer antler. But if everything is working properly your guides should last a very long time

barbender

Gearbox, which show do you saw at?
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Barbender The Blackberry one . Doing education days for 4th & 5th graders on the 15 . We will have the 40-80 Avery on the mill and the skidway is loaded with 11 ft red oak for sides for my trailer . Come see us if you can get out of the woods . Gearbox

sigidi

Down here, they are called 'packing' probably a bit more applicable term than 'guide'. Apparently we used to be able to get an asbestos based rod, which you could cut off biscuits as and when you needed. Can't get hold of it now, but I just used end grain of tallowood, seems to hold up nicely, unless ya drop it into the dist extractor pipe :-(
Always willing to help - Allan

oros35

So everyone is talking about round guides, mine on my 0 Frick are square!  They wedge into a \ / shaped groove on the guide arms. 

Anyone have info on these?   Maybe I can get some of the Phenolic material and machine some blocks?  Only problem is I have no idea what they are supposed to look like.  Never seen square ones before. 

beenthere

oros
These the square ones shown in one of your sawmill pics? 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oros35

Correct!  Didn't realize I had a picture of them!  Look familiar to anyone?

Thank You Sponsors!