iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain keeps running

Started by TimberKid, May 04, 2015, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimberKid

Actually the only issue I'm having with it is that the chain won't stop when I'm off the throttle. Well it will if it's choked or occasionally it will but usually to be safe I have to pull the choke out about half way if I need to set it down for a min. Haven't tuned the carb yet and I know it came from a place that was about 3500 feet higher in elevation than where I'm at. Would this be an issue of too fast idle or is it a clutch issue?
HLite-Super XL AO

CX3

Set the idle lower, or check chain tension. Possibly a sticky clutch but I doubt it.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

lumberjack48

Slow it down using the idle adjustment, if that don't work open the low jet, turn it counter clockwise real slow.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Jhenderson

It sounds like the idle is set to high. find the idle screw ( large head) and slowly turn it counter clockwise. Don't a touch the mixture screws. If the idle speed screw won't lower the rpms you have another problem. As was said prev, check the chain tension. A loose chain will rotate on an idling saw.

AdkStihl

Don't rule out the possibility of worn clutch springs.
J.Miller Photography

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

TimberKid

Word...yeah I got a little overzealous this last weekend and took down three of my neighbors unwanted trees. Old thing is heavy but just seems to cut so perfectly. Sharp chain and diggin the spikes in if needed...feels like I'm slicing bread with a knife that wears you the hell out at the end of the day
HLite-Super XL AO

hacknchop

Im with AdkStihl, my 357 xp had one broken spring and acted same as what your saying.
Often wrong never indoubt

TimberKid

oh yeah does anyone know when/why they started going with just the automatic oiler and started putting that metal piece where the manual was?
HLite-Super XL AO

beenthere

IIRC, it was in the 60's. For awhile, the saws had both.. automatic and manual. People, myself included, didn't really trust the automatic oiler to getRdun. But over time, the manual was left off.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maine logger88

I had the red versions of the 357 and 359 and they were a sonofagun to keep clutch springs on.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ladylake

When it come from 3500' higher than you it's lean , adjust both the high and low richer before you burn it up..   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

I agree with Steve.  Make sure the air filter is clean and engine is warm before you tune it.
Boy, back in my day..

Jhenderson

If he doesn't have enough small engine experience to know why the chain is turning you are not doing him any favors telling him to adjust the fuel / air ratio.

4x4American

I provided him a link with the best saw tuning guide on the web.  Anyone can do it.
Boy, back in my day..

TimberKid

Pretty sure I can adjust a fuel mixture provided with reliable information.  However no I haven't had a lot of experience with chainsaws. I appreciate the info given. Will be fixing that sometime this week before I fry the thing on the weekend.
HLite-Super XL AO

beenthere

QuoteWill be fixing that sometime this week before I fry the thing on the weekend.

Avoid frying it if at all possible.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ZeroJunk

Adjusting the idle mixture screw is not going to fry a saw. Adjust the idle mixture for max RPM at idle and then open it up CCW maybe 1/8 turn. Then adjust your idle speed screw as low as it will go and still idle without cutting off. If your chain is still spinning you have a problem with the clutch springs. Now, if the saw bogs in the transition from idle to open throttle you may have to open the idle mix up some more and adjust the idle speed  screw up some more to keep your RPM where you want it. That's provided that the saw is in good enough shape to idle, sometimes when they get worn and lose compression consistent idling fails.

Thank You Sponsors!