iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BF Capacity of a log truck & BF for an addition

Started by Gilman, September 07, 2004, 09:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

1) I'm looking for the bf capacity of fir logs on a NW style log truck.

2) Also (looking for a rough number only) about how many bf would it take to frame a two story 600 ft^2 addition. 2x6 walls.

3) Anyone used a transit grader?  About how many bf could they grade in a day?

Thanks in advance.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Percy

Heya Gilman
I can help you mebey on the first question.
I used to own a six axle logtruck (Peterbilt). A tandem drive with a tri-axle trailer. I dont know if this configuration is used in Washington but it will give you some Idea.

This load has about 42 cubic meters which I could get about a thousand board feet of fullsawn lumber per 3.5 cubic meters(give or take). My guzzintas say 12,000 bd ft.
Hope this helps.
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

isawlogs

Gilman
  I think your looking at about 100 pcs per floor ..What I usualy do is count 1 pcs per linear foot of wall and that will give you your studs and plates (ball park ) sometimes its a big park sometimes its smalll
  I got to get to bed.....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Frank_Pender

Gilman, around here they are hasuling about 3,500 bdft of logs at 32' in length.  When I have gotten in such loads to saw I run about a 50% + overrun, depending on the dimensions that are requested.  
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Depending on log size and westside or eastside scale anywhere from 2800bf to 6000ish bf.  Small logs 60 piece load scales out to close to 3000bf.  Around 5000 bf for a 15 to 20 piece load.  Long log scale scribner. 80,000 GVW log truck.  Less on a self loader.  Also some allowance has to be made for species.  Small long logs have allot of over-run as well.  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Gilman

Thanks for the help.  This will get me started on costing out the addition.  Grandma is moving in with my folks and this addition will be hers.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

A guy with a straight truck and a pup on behind in my area hauls about 8000 feet of veneer per load all pre scaled.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Black_Bear

SwampDonkey: What are the weight limits in NB? Is that Doyle rule? What species are you trucking? Isn't it odd that the wood products industry  measures veneer in BF?

We used to run about 5800-6200 BF (Int 1/4 rule) of green (fresh cut) spruce and balsam fir on the same truck and pup trailer that you describe. If I remember correctly the limit was 100,000 lbs in VT with an overweight permit. I'm not quite sure about the 100,000 lb limit though, once the wood hit the yard and was processed my job was done.

The heaviest load I have witnessed was a friend of mines who weighed in at 129,000 lbs with a load of hemlock that went to Ticonderoga, NY. That's probably an average load out west.

Tillaway

80,000 GVW on most long loggers, some license to 105,000 but sometimes wind up being over height before they max out the weight.  129,000 gets you a real big ticket without a permit.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Brucer

Gilman, I can confirm Percy's numbers. On my last contract, the customer brought in a full load of Douglas-Fir & Western Larch. It scaled at 45.0 cubic metres and he set aside 5 cubic metres in logs. The rest I sawed into timbers and lumber -- 12,200 BF was my actual paid production.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Skytramp

I don't know if this helps or not but I always figured on oak, 13 lbs per ft, in the log, when sap is up, winter a little lessmaybe 12
Sky
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Black_Bear on December 16, 2005, 09:15:11 PM
SwampDonkey: What are the weight limits in NB? Is that Doyle rule? What species are you trucking? Isn't it odd that the wood products industry  measures veneer in BF?

Bangor rule which is more liberal then Doyle. Doyle rule is more lean on the scale. It works out to 2 cord per thousand here, so 16 cords of logs. The wood is going into Presque Isle Maine to Columbia. I've never seen anyone ever buy veneer in anything but board feet. Price per thousand of course. Trucking yellow birch and hard maple. When I worked at the marketing board the weight scale from the mill in ackawick on loads of pulp ranged from 36 to 48 metric tonnes per load (mult by 1.1 to get short ton). 2.2727 metric tonnes per cord poplar, 2.5 metric tonnes per cord harwood and birch. (birch was always separated). Some mills in Maine take mixed loads, but you loose on price.

I've deleted a few pages from the document attached to reduce the size <200 kb.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!