iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Six log rafter to single kingpost joint. Advice needed

Started by tracker_46, May 03, 2015, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker_46

Hey everyone, I'm looking to replicate this type of six-way joint (see picture) on a job this summer (a pavilion/gazebo).. I'm not a log-builder by trade, but would like to include some log-work in this project mostly for looks. I'm just looking for any recommendations on how to execute this joint- essentially with six log rafters meeting a central log king-post at the apex of the ceiling. The example picture shows the log rafters squared off like in a timberframing application. I'm not opposed to doing this method, but would prefer to keep the round log look at the joint. Any expertise anyone has with how best to do this unusual joint would be very much welcomed.

witterbound

I'd always assumed there were some steel straps over the tops holding the ends together....

Roger Nair

Before getting into joinery, it is really best to address the structural scheme and the scale of the example vs the intended project.  The example really needs to be explored before any talk over details.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

tracker_46

Quote from: Roger Nair on May 04, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
Before getting into joinery, it is really best to address the structural scheme and the scale of the example vs the intended project.  The example really needs to be explored before any talk over details.
Sure Roger, perhaps I left out some important details.  My structure will have the center kingpost extend all the way to the ground, (not resting on a tie beam as in the picture).  All my log-work will be interior, and for cosmetic purposes (my stick-built walls and hexagonal hip roof will stand alone structurally, with the only load-bearing log being the kingpost.  That said, I would like to do this joint pretending as if the log rafters were load-bearing if for no other reason than to have them boost structural integrity of the overall structure.  My log rafter spans are in the neighborhood of 18ft using logs with 12" butts.  Kingpost log diameter at the center joint: ~18".

Roger Nair

I am sorry but I can not advise other to say you need qualified design services.  Too much of a mixed bag with unknowable details.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

jueston

many modern timber frames or log buildings have secrets hidden where you can't see them in order to address structural issues... i would bet there is some metal hidden on the top of that joint holding it all together, just like witterbound said...

Thank You Sponsors!