iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue creeper for seized engine???

Started by shinnlinger, May 03, 2015, 08:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello,

I aquired a 35kw generator with a continental 6.   Supposedly it ran a year or so ago but it's frozen now.   I am a thinking of ordering a gallon of blue creeper and filling each cylinder thru the plug holes and letting it set a week or so. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?   Anything else I should try?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Den Socling

I have never used Blue Creeper so I can't say anything about it. But I recently had a vacuum pump that had been sitting a couple years. Bronze impellers and CI case. I couldn't move it with a 36" pipe wrench. I poured in a gallon of Blaster penetrating oil ($40). I can now turn it by hand. Saved me over $4000.

beenthere

From what I've seen Blue Creeper do, wouldn't surprise me one but that it would work.

But will depend upon what is "seized" and what caused the seize. If nothing broken, nothing scored, might very well loosen it up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Joe Hillmann

Are you sure it is the engine that is seized?  I spent 3 months trying to free up a seized straight six by filling the cylinders with different combinations of lubricants and the problem ended up being a mouse packing acorns into the bell housing.  From what I read that is actually a common problem was well as starter bolts that are too long.  Both it make it appear as if the engine is stuck. When it is actually the flywheel that is jammed up.

shinnlinger

From what I know of its history and previous owner, I believe it is seized from sitting but it is indeed full of acorns so I will look into that angle too. 
Thanks.
Shinnlinger

coxy

r.man

I once helped diagnose a problem that appeared to be a seized engine in a small car. Turned out the alternator was seized and the belts were good enough to hold the flywheel when the starter was applied. Nothing against blue creeper but most minor seizes can be loosened by diesel or other common light oils. Lots of guys have a particular mixture they like but almost any light oil seems to be the common ingredient.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

North River Energy

Add penetrant to the cylinders, then put a long ratchet on the crank bolt, add a modest length of pipe to the handle, then hang a bucket of sand on the end of that @ 2:30 and let it set.
If you're feeling creative, plumb a discarded (but functional) hot water heater to the water outlets,  run the block up to operating temp and leave it for awhile.

Might want to pull the manifolds and look for water intrusion.  Then you can either rule that out, or at least focus your efforts on the one or two affected cylinders.

sandhills

I have a hard time believing if it's only sat for a year or so that it would be seized up, just my opinion (which is usually wrong), but I'd start looking elsewhere first. 

loggah

I used marvel mystery oil in my Tucker over the winter,pulled the starter put a bar on the flywheel ring gear gave a little tug and free engine. ;D PB blaster is good also, im sure blue creeper would work great also. What size continental isit? theres a welder with a running continental engine for sale in Campton.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shinnlinger

Don,

It's an inline 6.  Don't know the size.  You have a link to that welder?

I like the weighted pull idea.  It has a crank handle so should be easy to rig up.  One of the cylinders pours right into the carb.  I assume the valve is open on that cylinder. 
Shinnlinger

loggah

Dave, I cant find it right now ,but it was outside A&H auto in Campton, i looked at it hoping the engine was a Chrysler for my sno cat, its a F226 or F227 engine. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

shinnlinger

Thanks Don,
This has a M330 and im not sure how much I want to get into it.   You may see me down at Steen's this summer scrapping it if it doesn't come into it. 
Shinnlinger

loggah

Dave,It probably has a few exhaust valves stuck. If you pull the head you can get at everything you need to free it up. Don

shinnlinger

I was looking it over today and a head pull seems pretty easy and I found manuals online and it looks doable.   My problem is I have a ton of more pressing things I should be doing but reviving old iron appeals to me.  Then again, what am I going to do with a 35kw generator?!?!
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!