iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Pre EPA" Stihl Saw question

Started by kellysguy, May 03, 2015, 10:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellysguy

When did the advent of low emission EPA mandated saws occur? I want to buy a pro grade Stihl but I want a regular carb that lubes the chain good. What is the newest models (50-60cc) that fits this criteria even if it's no longer in production? I don't see what I want offered in a 362 and would rather have an older type saw.

Yeah I know how wonderful the m-tronic is but I don't want it. I don't mind intelicarb or whatever it's called I just don't want a saw with electronic engine management. Are there new euro market saws that fit this description. I have a friend that will be there soon.

Thanks for your help with this.

beenthere

The old 041 might be a good saw for you to look for.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

A Stihl  034,036 or 038AV would fit what you are looking for .Every so often if you look around a decent low hours well taken care of saw pops up .

JohnG28

The carb has nothing to do with the oil on the chain. The older saws put out more oil to the chain than newer models generally do but most pro grade saws newer and older have an adjustable rate oil pump. The newer ones still put out enough for the bar and chain as long as kept within limits for that particular saw, they just don't throw out extra. Aside from a few current models from Stihl and Husky the electronic carbs aren't all that prevalent yet. The regular carb models have limiters on the H and L screws but they're easily defeated in most cases.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ZeroJunk

I always have an 036 or MS360. They are good saws.

But, I wonder if the thoughts about new saws are like the comment that "they don't make cars like they used to".  And, I'm glad.

SawTroll

The impact of EPA on chainsaws etc. really started in 1997 or so, and they have been tightening the grip ever since, as they no longer can do much with the really important issues, and need an excuse to still exist....... ::)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

My understanding  is there's  alot of EPA push in California,  as it seems almost everything  sold there has to have a cancer warning label attached to it.
At one time there was fear all 2 cycle engines  would be banned in California.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!