iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logrite gave up on me today

Started by Ocklawahaboy, May 02, 2015, 04:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

I guess it isn't really the Logrite's fault.  I was rolling a log and the log decided to take off and I couldn't pull the hook out quick enough.  Rolled the handle over into another log.  Oh well, it looks horrible but it'll still turn small cants on the mill.  Have to order another for heavier stuff though. 

Cedarman

Just think what would have happened to a lesser brand of cant hook.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Delawhere Jack

That must have been one heck of a big log. Better the cant hook than your leg.

clww

Just roll another log over it, and it'll straighten back up. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

21incher

I didn't think it was possible to bend a logrite. At least it shows you how good the hook digs in. I bet they will sell you another handle. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hard to believe but I see it.  ::) And thats a short handle too. Short handles are harder to bend than the longer handles.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

"That guy could break an anvil in two!" (Old saying) ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Ocklawahaboy

if something is breakable, I will find a way.  I will gladly sacrifice a logrite vs life and limb any day.  I had that split second when I was trying to pull the cant hook out and the little voice said that if I didnt let go I was going for a ride. 

bandmiller2

Take it to a shop that has an hydraulic press, but after its straight check it before putting a lot of strain on it. Took a craftsman crow bar to sears with an almost 90% bend the clerk gave me a new one but had to ask how it happened. We were uncrating machinery and my helper slid it in the forklift boom, you know the rest. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Wow, one of mine got run over by a tractor last week and did not bend.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

york

Hi there,i would like to see a pic. of the label on that tool....
Albert

Corley5

I've got the same model Logrite but with the bend 90 degrees from yours.  Mine slipped off the firewood machine into snow deep enough that I couldn't see it.  It got caught between the Bobcat bucket and the processor leveling jack when I was plowing the snow.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

4x4American

Quote from: Magicman on May 02, 2015, 08:33:53 PM
Wow, one of mine got run over by a tractor last week and did not bend.   :o

Garden tractor?  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: york on May 02, 2015, 08:40:46 PM
Hi there,i would like to see a pic. of the label on that tool....

You can also see how stretched the metal is on that side of the handle.  I do not think there is any bending it back without, at least, some re-welding.

5quarter

I pretzeled mine a few years ago worse than that. If that wasn't bad enough, it was a Fathers day gift from my wife. She thankfully got me another, and I have resisted any more bone headed stunts. at least with my cant hooks. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

MikeAM

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on May 02, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
I guess it isn't really the Logrite's fault.  I was rolling a log and the log decided to take off and I couldn't pull the hook out quick enough.  Rolled the handle over into another log.  Oh well, it looks horrible but it'll still turn small cants on the mill.  Have to order another for heavier stuff though. 

Hiya Ocklawahaboy,

Not sure if they would cover this specific issue but Logrite has a lifetime warranty on their handles. Couldn't hurt to give them a ring.

http://www.logrite.com/warranty06.pdf

Nomad

I'm thinking that the qualifiers in Logrite's warranty would limit his ability to make a claim on that damage.  Personally I wouldn't even try.  I'd just eat that one as an "Oops" and get another one.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ocklawahaboy

My plan was to call them and, as they suggested in another thread, see if they have a used or blemished one to save a buck or two.  No need for them to pay for my mistake.  Going to order the heavier duty one this time. 

Nomad

I actually managed to bend one of mine just a bit near the tip.  But that was with two big 'ole boys reefing on it.  No problem; it still works fine for normal people.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

You mean there are still some "normal" people sawing??   ???   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 07:39:02 PM
You mean there are still some "normal" people sawing??   ???   :o

Well...  On this one I'm giving US benefit of the doubt.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

:D  Yup, sometimes we need it.   smiley_thumbsup

Percy

WE get our canthooks from woodmizer which, correct me if im wrong, are logrites painted orange...My son has a guy, Michael, who runs the peterson. He breaks these things often enuff that we call him "THe Chimpanzee" behind his back... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brucer

I did exactly the same thing to my first Logrite (2000 pound log landed on it as it fell across two other logs :(). I contacted Logrite, told them what happened, and told them I didn't expect it to be covered by warranty. Instead, I asked if they could sell me a replacement handle. No problem, and they gave me a discount, too :)!
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Nomad

Quote from: Brucer on May 08, 2015, 02:06:41 AM
I did exactly the same thing to my first Logrite (2000 pound log landed on it as it fell across two other logs :(). I contacted Logrite, told them what happened, and told them I didn't expect it to be covered by warranty. Instead, I asked if they could sell me a replacement handle. No problem, and they gave me a discount, too :)!

Now that's a great answer!
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

I would call rolling a log over it "misuse" which is referred to  in line 1 of the warranty posted above.   Maybe LogRite should offer insurance.  If you get the heavier handle you might not like it as much.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

I like my logrite, it grabs the log like no other but am I reading this thread right? is the warranty only good if human power bends the handle?
I am old and pretty weak now so no bending without mechanical help from a rolling log etc is out of the question.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Only for "human power" bending makes good sense to me. Wouldn't expect warranty for other reasons.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

What I did to mine was way, way beyond "reasonable". Not only did I get a discount on the replacement handle, Kevin took it to the post office and mailed it to me directly, thus saving me brokerage fees at the border.

DR Buck

Logrite cant hooks take a licking and keep on ticking.    ;D     Don't try this at home.    These guys were professionals.............

........   and this picture was staged.    :D

So was this one.   :D

These were from 2005 when @Dan_Shade , @Ga_Boy and I recovered and milled the huge Kennedy white oak.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Nomad

I bent one last fall, with the help of a client.  We bent a 5' peavey a couple degrees on the tip.  I weigh in at about 245; he's 6'8" and weighs around 325.  With both of us reefing on it we bent the tip just a bit.  I can live with that; I figure it's going "above and beyond."  (We moved the log, too.)  If we'd tried that with any other tool we'd have been picking ourselves out of the dust and looking for new peaveys.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Percy on May 07, 2015, 08:26:42 PM
WE get our canthooks from woodmizer which, correct me if im wrong, are logrites painted orange...

Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner!

WoodMizer now makes their own cant hooks and peaveys.  WM's have a steel handle.  WM also sell Logrite which are custom orange color but have a Logrite logo on them.

I have seen many a Logrites sacrificed to the pile and am always grateful it wasn't body parts.  It's just like those Subaru commercials with the mangled cars and the tow truck driver says "they lived". 

While our tools have a warranty for materials and workmanship and dropping a log pile on the tool would not be covered, you should call us as sometimes we can help you out with a scratch and dent one or as someone has already said we can sell you just a handle.  We always try to help out FF members.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Ox

And that's why you're such great sponsors and why we're so loyal.  It's a beautiful thing!
I have three of your products and wouldn't have any other.  Thank you.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Tamiam on July 09, 2015, 09:31:01 AM
Quote from: Percy on May 07, 2015, 08:26:42 PM
WE get our canthooks from woodmizer which, correct me if im wrong, are logrites painted orange...

Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner!

WoodMizer now makes their own cant hooks and peaveys.  WM's have a steel handle.  WM also sell Logrite which are custom orange color but have a Logrite logo on them.

I have seen many a Logrites sacrificed to the pile and am always grateful it wasn't body parts.  It's just like those Subaru commercials with the mangled cars and the tow truck driver says "they lived". 

While our tools have a warranty for materials and workmanship and dropping a log pile on the tool would not be covered, you should call us as sometimes we can help you out with a scratch and dent one or as someone has already said we can sell you just a handle.  We always try to help out FF members.

I actually found a new looking used logrite just this week and grabbed it.   The old one is still in service for turning cants on the mill etc.  my focus has been on finishing up my masters degree the last couple of months -one month left -but I might try to tackle a new handle once that is out of the way.   Thanks for the feedback and being willing to help.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: DR_Buck on May 09, 2015, 07:58:48 AM

Logrite cant hooks take a licking and keep on ticking.    ;D     Don't try this at home.    These guys were professionals.............

........   and this picture was staged.    :D

So was this one.   :D

These were from 2005 when @Dan_Shade , @Ga_Boy and I recovered and milled the huge Kennedy white oak.

Try moving the 4x4 first. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

So when you send out a new handle pretty much we would just cut the circle ma-do-dad-unit off and weld it back on...errr how does it work?  The hardest part would be painting it that logrite blue!

Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

Nope. You get the entire aluminum handle. You just have to unbolt the hook and transfer it to the new unit.

4x4American

Quote from: Brucer on July 12, 2015, 01:26:54 AM
Nope. You get the entire aluminum handle. You just have to unbolt the hook and transfer it to the new unit.

No kidding! Cool!  That's way easier!
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I'd probably just get a new one and have a spare hook ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!