iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 540b

Started by Logger003, May 02, 2015, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger003

I have a 540b skidder and it suddenly started pushing exaust out the intake was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how to fix it? It started on my last drag when I was finishing up in the bush last winter and am now just finally getting time to work on it and don't want to change a bunch if parts that it doesn't need

cutter88

Hmmm the only time iv saw that is when an old Detroit runs backward only thing I could say is check exhaust system for blockage and maybe have a valve set done on it
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Logger003

It's not as much exhaust as that, but I never thought of the valves leaking. I didn't think the exhaust could leak back to the intake. I just thought with a burnt valve the compression would just be low, or am I missing something

treeslayer2003

could be the turbo? i have one but never acted like that. curious to know when you find out.

Logger003

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 02, 2015, 06:00:01 PM
could be the turbo? i have one but never acted like that. curious to know when you find out.
when I get this one figured out I will be sure to let you know, I've never heard of this before, I even talked to a JD mechanic and all he said was bring it in and they would overhaul it but would really hate to spend 10000 for a 500$ fix

treeslayer2003

i overhauled mine with a JD kit for 1500. did an inframe myself, its not bad long as ya don't need mains.

cutter88

Very first thing I'd check is valves, then turbo and ya there cheap to do a inframe on I did my 640 for under 4000 and it's. A 6 cylinder
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

coxy

I am no expert but sounds like your  turbo my kitty cat did that with the first one the second one pushed over 2gal oil out the muffler was not a pretty thing

teakwood

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 02, 2015, 07:11:10 PM
i overhauled mine with a JD kit for 1500. did an inframe myself, its not bad long as ya don't need mains.

I like to do that to my 540A. do you have any step by step instructions and torques (manual wont tell)? i would like to do it myself but i never did a overhaul.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Logger003

Well pulled the head off today and the valves look good. I'm going to pick up a new head gasket and put it back together and put a new turbo on hope that fixes it. Pistons and cylinders look good from what I can see

coxy

check the play in the turbo shaft   see if there is any broken or worn impellers  on the turbo 

Logger003

Turbo has a little end play, you can just feel it move when you play with the shaft about 1/16 inch I would guess, impeller looks good.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: teakwood on May 03, 2015, 10:00:20 AM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 02, 2015, 07:11:10 PM

I like to do that to my 540A. do you have any step by step instructions and torques (manual wont tell)? i would like to do it myself but i never did a overhaul.
teakwood i think your A is totaly different than our B models. you have the 6 cylinder right? should be able to look up specs online with the engine model number.

Logger003

I took the turbo into my JD dealer and the mechanic doesn't think theres anything wrong with it so I don't know what my next move should be. They can't even give me an answer or point me to what else it could be. Here's what is going on and please tell me if I'm wrong or missing something. In order for exhaust to come out the intake on the exhaust stroke either raw diesel or exhaust has to be getting pushed out the intake, which means it would have to be a burnt intake valve( but I ruled that out when I pulled the head off). How would the turbo make the exhaust leak out the intake( I have no problem buying another turbo even if this one doesn't seem bad)

Migal

I have to ask does the exhaust go thru the intake to keep it warm and could the intake have a crack or blown seal?
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Albertcounty hillbilly

I would check the exhaust lobe on the cam,maybe the exhaust valve not opening.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Logger003 on May 05, 2015, 11:18:44 PM
I took the turbo into my JD dealer and the mechanic doesn't think theres anything wrong with it so I don't know what my next move should be. They can't even give me an answer or point me to what else it could be. Here's what is going on and please tell me if I'm wrong or missing something. In order for exhaust to come out the intake on the exhaust stroke either raw diesel or exhaust has to be getting pushed out the intake, which means it would have to be a burnt intake valve( but I ruled that out when I pulled the head off). How would the turbo make the exhaust leak out the intake( I have no problem buying another turbo even if this one doesn't seem bad)
good point.......hmmm.......we need a head scratching smiley

sandhills

Quote from: Albertcounty hillbilly on May 06, 2015, 06:44:35 PM
I'd say he has it nailed, bad cam.  Not hard to check for, but not fun to fix  :-\.  Only reason I know this is we have a 4010 JD that did the exact same thing, does it make a "thumping" sound through the air breather?

Logger003

Quote from: sandhills on May 06, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
Quote from: Albertcounty hillbilly on May 06, 2015, 06:44:35 PM
I'd say he has it nailed, bad cam.  Not hard to check for, but not fun to fix  :-\.  Only reason I know this is we have a 4010 JD that did the exact same thing, does it make a "thumping" sound through the air breather?
This is starting to make sense at least now I have another thing I check will let everyone know what I find out

coxy

the bearing went out on my turbo letting the impellers get chewed/ground off just a little  letting exhaust pass back through to the intake   this is how it was told to me  ??? ;D   if your shaft bearings and impellers are good scrap that idea  :D

Logger003

Thanks for the help lobe on the cam wore out. Will have new cam ordered Monday. Kinda glad I had a reason to pull the radiator, the bottom of it was just about wore through would never had found it if I didn't pull it. Probably saved me a lot of grief next winter when I start logging again

Thank You Sponsors!