iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge locust

Started by Brad_bb, May 02, 2015, 09:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Sorry I don't have a picture yet.  Yesterday I looked at the largest black locust tree I've ever seen.  It's hidden up in the woods, Huge thorns and all.  Looks like I'm going to have to take it out as it is right where a building is going to be.  I think it's still alive, but hard to tell as now is about the time it should start budding out, a bit later than other trees, but that's normal right?  No signs of being dead, or any sloughing bark or anything.   This tree also has the largest wild grapevines on it I've ever seen. One is at lest 3.5-4 inches across and 4 or 5 others are 2-3 inches.

So anyway, I haven't cut many large trees.  Mostly small stuff around my farm, like 6-10" Mulberry's is very common over the years with my 16" Poulan.  Well I just bought a Stihl 661CM.  I will have to take the large branches off first.  Some of those are probably 16 inches.

Since it's Black locust, is it going to be hard going with the chainsaw?  Anything I need to know?

I promise I'll update with a pic next time I'm there. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

With thorns, sounds like a honey locust.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

You might have to sharpen more often, but I've cut a lot of black locust, and it isn't too bad. I actually have more issues cutting ash regarding dulling. I've heard good things about the 661, I think you have enough saw. :) Young black locust is very thorny, and the branches on mature locust can still be thorny as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

I guess the tree in question is honey locust.  I was confused because I have a planted tree in my farmyard that my grandmother said was honey locust.  I doesn't have any thorns.  I has very smal oval leaves in a group shaped kind of like a fern.  Had some broken limbs from this yard tree from a storm once.  I tried cutting a dried section and it was really hard for the saw to cut.  The heartwood seemed to have a honey color when I sawed it.  So I always though it was honey locust.  I was wrong.

The tree in question has the large thorns like this:

Not much thorns on the lower mature trunk, but more thorns higher up and on branches.

pineywoods

Yep, definitely honey locust. If you can deal with the thorns, it saws nicely and makes some beautiful lumber. However, it doesn't share the rot-proof characteristics of black locust. It will rot in a heartbeat...Them wicked looking thorns are just that..wicked. will penetrate any tire known to man, the tips are extreemely hard...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

kellysguy

How long are those thorns? I may have to ask you send some to me. I'm a 3D mixed media artist and would love some of those if they are big.

gfadvm

Don't cut those thorns off with a chainsaw. They will go everywhere! And then you will step on them (ouch!) or drive over them ($ ouch $). It's tedious but I pull em off with pliers and put em in the burn barrel.

Straightgrain

If the tree in question is anything like the tree pictured; hire a  D9 bulldozer; knock it down and burn the monster!

smiley_bull_stomp

You will want the stump removed anyway? 
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Brad_bb

I'll have my new Stihl 661cm tomorrow.  I plan to use my camp axe to try and cut the thorns off(and pick them up).  Then cut the huge branches and cut the curved base portions on the sawmill for curved timberframe braces, boards, etc.  Then have a dozer push the stump with short butt log over and pull it out of the woods.  Then cut the but log off and see what it wants to be- rive for pegs?  Slabs?

luvmexfood

Heed what gfadvm said about tires. Those thorns eat tires for breakfast.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

Those thorns look nasty!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

You could very well have a honeylocust in your farmyard.  The horticultural varieties have been bred to be thornless. 

Black locust thorns are modified stipules, and are always in a pair at the base of the leaf petiole, just like in a rose bush.  The leaves are once pinnate compound (only one main leaf stem or rachis, with a singe set of leaflets on each side).

Honeylocust thorns are modified branches, and can occur anywhere on the stem, branch, trunk, etc., and they are usually branched as well.  The leaves are twice pinnate compound.  That is, the rachis or leaf stem is branched, and the leaflets occur on the branched part. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I also thought the one in my yard was honey locust because the heartwood (from the storm damaged branches I cut) had a honey color.  That yardtree is just leafing out now.  I'll get pictures to post to try and Id it.

WDH

Yes, a leaf will do the job.

Black locust bark has raised interlocking ridges, like an elm or a hickory.

Honeylocust bark is relatively smooth, and does not have raised, interlocking ridges.  Older trees can be scaly with large, plate-like scales.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

HiTech

I have acres of Black Locust, the biggest I ever saw was around 16" on the stump. I use to cut them for fence posts....they never rot. Many I put in in the 60's and are still sound. They are just hard to put staples in. I use 1/2 " fence staples. It is also a very hot burning wood. I use it for sugar wood in my evaporator. Just cut up what has been laying around on the ground for 20 or 30 years. If possible they have even less moisture in them when green as a white ash does.

kellysguy

Man, you guys up north have all the best trees. I gotta get me some of them thorns.

HolmenTree

A Firestone forestry tire on a skidder could handle those thorns ;D
Only thing I saw these tires couldn't  handle was a sidewall puncture from a broken limb stub on a oversized felled jackpine.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

It may sound hard to believe but I have pictures of honey locust rounds a tad over 48" in diameter .Largest I've ever seen .

Oliver1655

It is not near as bad to clean up a thorned tree as one may think.  Shave the thorns off, rake them up out of the way or burn them, then you will have a safe area to work in. (Use the top of the bar to shave the thorns off & they will be thrown away from you.)  I use a longer, (25") bar to shave with.

Old, hard rubber tires works better, new/fresh rubber will act like they suck the thorns in. 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

roveron

Quote from: HiTech on May 08, 2015, 08:17:42 AM
I have acres of Black Locust, the biggest I ever saw was around 16" on the stump. I use to cut them for fence posts....they never rot. Many I put in in the 60's and are still sound. They are just hard to put staples in. I use 1/2 " fence staples. It is also a very hot burning wood. I use it for sugar wood in my evaporator. Just cut up what has been laying around on the ground for 20 or 30 years. If possible they have even less moisture in them when green as a white ash does.
In Virginia I cut a lot of them for both fence posts (some sprouted and started growing after setting them) and firewood. x2 on hot fire, we melted a couple of fire dogs burning just locust.
We had one area that was very think with nearly 100% locust  A lot would grow to about 4" in diameter then die. So we had a lot of standing seasoned filrewood with no bark.
Tom
031, 025, 038M. 075

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

Dave Shepard

That's interesting. I've never seen locust die like that. We have a lot of elm that does that. Then in a couple of years they break apart and come down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Oliver1655

It in not uncommon in our area for folks who have the time to, to girt the locust trees then wait for the thorns to fall off before harvesting the trees
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Al_Smith

For reasons unknown the majority of honey locust I've seen have been in fence rows.I dehorn them with a machete.

terrifictimbersllc

That's how I remember honeylocust too, climbing the fence to the creek at the farm in Indiana, fishing pole in one hand,  DanG always seemed to get stuck by those thorns.  : >:(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!