iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATF or...?

Started by 4x4American, May 01, 2015, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

What do you WM'ers use, ATF or something else for putting on your mill?

Also, where do you put the ATF?  And about how many hours do you ATF it?  Do you squirt it on, paint it, wipe it, etc..

Friend of my with 40 super saws about 3 days/week and says he uses about a quart /month of ATF.

About how much do you use?  I really like fluid film and am considering it for use on the mill.  Just want to run it through the R+R department..

Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

4X,

I use ATF. Spray it on my chain and all chrome pistons for my hydraulics. I wipe the mast with it per maintenance instructions for periodic service. I spray or wipe it on the chains. I soak the felt pad with it to keep the runners lubed as the head travels during cutting. My tech told me when I got the mill to spray it on all moving parts. Seems to resist sawdust better than grease or heavier oils. Since I spilled some not sure exactly how much I use but I'd guess about a quart every 50 operating hours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I buy it 2 gallons at a time if that tells you anything.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Thanks, I have never thought to put it on the hydraulic rods.  Can't hurt!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I put it all over the mill. :D :D
Every day, the mast gets it 2 times a day. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Put it on everything that moves.  It not only acts as a lubricant, but also as a cleaner; it irrigates the sawdust off the parts.  Don't skimp, I use a spray bottle and hose it down. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Delawhere Jack

Our goat friend taught me a neat way to put ATF of the masts. Use a spray bottle set to "stream". Squirt a shot above and below each of the head guide pads as needed, then move the head up and down a couple inches to lube the pads. Sure beats using a rag to apply it.

Peter Drouin

I use a 2" brush.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

By the sounds of it I'll just get a 55 gal drum of atf and put a pump in it to a garden hose and douse the mill every day  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on May 01, 2015, 10:38:26 PM
By the sounds of it I'll just get a 55 gal drum of atf and put a pump in it to a garden hose and douse the mill every day  :D

:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I gotta go have a bunch of customers coming sat.  zzzz_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

Quote from: 4x4American on May 01, 2015, 10:38:26 PM
Maybe don't use quite this much, but you get the idea. :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

4x4American

I was thinking more along the lines of:
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

What's that old saying...a little dab ull do ya  :D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 01, 2015, 10:19:53 PM
I buy it 2 gallons at a time if that tells you anything.  :)

Might be cheaper to just get a 5 gal bucket..that's what I do.  I've went through some trucks that use ATF and I ended up just getting a 5gal pail still have some left.  I pour it into an old washer fluid bottle.
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on May 01, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
What's that old saying...a little dab ull do ya  :D
I guess that would qualify as an old saying. It was the slogan for Dipidy do, a hair styling gell that came after Fop, and Dapper Dan.  :D

Hmm, now that I think about that stuff, if you could still find Dipidy do, you might try it on your moving parts on the mill.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

beenthere

And that "little dab'll do ya" of that Brylcreem will prolly be greasy enough too..   ;D 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto

Sorry Red...  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

Quote from: beenthere on May 02, 2015, 12:08:53 AM
And that "little dab'll do ya" of that Brylcreem will prolly be greasy enough too..   ;D 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto

Sorry Red...  ;)
Hahaha.
Well, it seemed right at the time.  :D
I guess my rememberer ain't as good as I remembered it being.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

willmyers0169

when you say you put it on your piston rods, you mean at the valve body or the actual cylinder. I ask because if you're applying it to the cylinder rods then that's just a waste, as the wiper seal merely wipes it off the first time retract the cylinder. Just my .02
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

gimpy

I use squeeze bottles. Like squeezable honey bottles.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Chuck White

I apply ATF on all moving parts that don't have zerk fittings.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Does anyone coat the top rail or just let the wiper do that?  And what about the bottom rail?  I don't do nothing with the bottom rail because it has that ground there, but I wonder if fluid film would be okay for it, as I put fluid film on my truck batteries to protect from corrosion.
Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Hello,
The manual says top and bottom rail every 8 hours. Yes the bottom rail is more important because it does not have the wiper. The top rail gets exposed to more sawdust that is why it has the wiper. The wiper on the top will also adsorb water so when the mill is not used and the wiper has not been serviced the felt will stick to the top rail. Then when you move the head the felt pulls off the cover.
I have found 1/8" rivets are the best way to reinstall the felt back on. I have not been successful reinstalling like the factory did.
Has anyone else figured out how to get the original clips to hold? The covers are not real expensive and you can purchase the felt for a few $.
Hope this helps .

Marty   
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

justallan1

Quote from: willmyers0169 on May 02, 2015, 01:14:38 AM
when you say you put it on your piston rods, you mean at the valve body or the actual cylinder. I ask because if you're applying it to the cylinder rods then that's just a waste, as the wiper seal merely wipes it off the first time retract the cylinder. Just my .02
I don't know anything about hydraulic mills, but I've used hydraulic cylinders for years in all kinds of applications and would think that is one place I'd make real sure got some if you are leaving them extended and especially if you are not using the mill daily.
Life happens and you'll have scratches or dings in the plating (depends on make of cylinder) and I'd sure think a shot of anything to stop rust is just cheap insurance.

4x4American

Thanks Marty. 

I agree, justallan.  I wouldn't worry about it unless it was sitting.  Little dings cuts or scraches will lead to rust on the cylinder, and noone likes rust!
Boy, back in my day..

shakebone

I just bore a hole right in top the bottle of atf and douche away ! BTW wal mart around here has a good price in it ! In the mornin when I start I run the head to other end squirt the gravy on the chain and rail wipe the bottom with soaked cloth and when u back it up it'll spread it around same with mast also blade roller makes them quiet
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

YellowHammer

Quote from: MartyParsons on May 02, 2015, 07:56:31 AM
Has anyone else figured out how to get the original clips to hold? The covers are not real expensive and you can purchase the felt for a few $.
Hope this helps .

Marty
I have had good success reattaching the felt with the original clips. Take the felt pad off, and use a pair of pliers and straighten the barb out where it sticks up perpendicular to the cover.  Then use a small file and sharpen the tips of the barbs to help it cut a new hole in the felt, which is surprisingly strong stuff.  Reattach the felt to the cover, punching each barb through the felt, but watch your fingers or you'll get bit.  Once the felt is on and then take the pliers and put a little curve in the barb while bending it back down flat, burying the barb deep in the felt so it won't rub on the rail.  I did mine this way a couple years ago, and have never had another problem.   
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Dave Shepard

I have a little oil can with the thumb pumper on it. I do the mast contact points, the outer band wheel guide rods, the turner claw pivot, and the drive and up/down chain. I do not lube hydraulic cylinders rods. Ever. It would take me all day to count the hydraulic cylinders on this farm, and not one of them has ever been lubed, nor has one failed from lack of lube. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

For 90% of WM questions, the answer is "ATF" ;D I cut mine with a bit of diesel so it sprays better, and I use a regular spray bottle.
Too many irons in the fire

hackberry jake

I dont own a wm, but I agree that spraying hydraulic rods is a waste of time. Maybe if they are cheap hydraulics? I came up with a massive hydraulic rod from a track hoe and I used it as a corner post about 10 years ago. It has been in the elements the whole time and it will still almost blind you on sunny days. They use pretty good chrome on those rods. Ever seen those old 50s model cars sitting abandoned on old farms? The chrome still looks like the day it rolled off the showroom floor. It amazes me really.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

I have a spray bottle and a squirt bottle and both get used every day.  Be sure to lube both of the rods on the log clamp plus everything else that moves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypress Man

I've been using hydraulic oil for a long time now. I find it works just as good as atf and is much cheaper than atf.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

scully

I find that I put ATF on my mast and drive chain much more often I use an industrial squirt bottle . But I do indeed apply a shot to anything that has a crevace or moves I.E. back supports and rollers . I also remove covers and do the hym. joints on all links and the slider link on my auto clutch etc. etc. My mills previous owner lived next to a 4 lane highway and the mill was exposed to mist etc from the road durring winter ,that really did not help things . I pretymuch have an ongoing lube and touch-up scheduall .
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!