iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple timber dormers

Started by Aeneas61, May 01, 2015, 09:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeneas61

I am starting a 12X24' timber frame building with the separate roof trusses which are lifted up and set down on the top plate without a ridge pole, freestanding trusses?, anyway my question is;

can someone please give me a simple method of adding dormers to the roof. All the pics I have found are for modern stick frames with a ridge pole. I want the kind of dormer with a peaked roof not the flat style if possible.

is there a traditional way dormers were added to timber frames or this a modern thing, my entire frame will be pegged not nailed together and I would like to do that with the dormers as well but am not sure its possible.

thanks all

beenthere

IIRC roof trusses occupy that "attic" space such that a dormer wouldn't be functional.

Or are these just decorative dormers?

Or maybe have the wrong idea what your trusses are like. ??

Putting your location in your profile would be a nice gesture, so we know abouts where you are located.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Heartwood

Here's an example of a doghouse timber framed dormer. It is done often, but many houses with SIPs enclosure just make the dormer from them. This is an Ed Levin drawing from the  Timber Framing journal.

rnal.

Aeneas61

Beenthere,
I was planning a knee wall with a steep pitched roof and functional dormers. Have you seen something similar?

Heartwood

The knee wall top plate would run out horizontally from the foot of the valley rafters. The principal rafters can run down slope and the dormer can be scaled appropriately; roof pitch can be changed.

bigshow

shed dormers are relatively easy to cut and raise/install.
I never try anything, I just do it.

Thank You Sponsors!