iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanting to get a small backhoe to move logs, dig ditches, etc. any suggestions

Started by Leggman, May 01, 2015, 07:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggman

I am wanting to buy a small backhoe to do some work around the house and move some logs into the mill. Any suggestions out there.
I was thinking 25 to 40 HP would do it.

BargeMonkey

Blue tractors make the best tractors.  ;D    if you watch tractor house, or fastline the  deals are out there. Anything under 50hp brings good money because they are marketing them to the homeowner / hobby landowner. We got our last 100hp NH 4x4 with a cab cheaper than a used 50hp for that simple reason.

Dave Shepard

In that size, I'd recommend a Kubota L35. Those little buggers will really lift.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishpharmer

My vote is for the kubota backhoes.  I've rented several different models over the years.  Last several years, when renting a backhoe, I've needed and gone with full size machines.  Similar to what bargemonkey mentioned about farm tractors, often I see decent looking used full size machines for less money than smaller used kubotas. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Gary_C

When you are looking for a backhoe, you look for the largest one you can find that you can afford that is not all beat up. Trust me when I say a smaller one will not do the jobs you can find to do.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Puffergas on May 02, 2015, 12:16:11 AM
I have a JD510. Wish it was bigger.

Jeff
Deere made a 510-610 for a while, but basically have had just the 310-410-710 models since the E series started. You can find a 310SE-SG with no hrs and all the bells for under 30k all day long. Our backhoe see 1/2 the hours it used too, mini excavator and track skidsteers are doing to them what a good excavator did to a track loader. Homeowner sized tractors with a hoe are nice, but unless you buy a JD / NH / Kubota ive noticed your really going to take a bath during trade in time or a private sale. I saw a BX 25 kubota, 300hrs with backhoe, mower, cab, probably 30k+ new go for 11k in cash 2yrs ago, the market can be rough for the super small sized utility machines.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Corley5 on May 02, 2015, 05:32:05 PM
The 580 Case is pretty DanG good machine.

How do you get it down to the 25-40 horsepower category, crimp an injector line? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BEEMERS

Corley5 has a good point.you can pick up a 580 case...no cab no extendahoe two wheel drive...D or E models like that aren't much more then 12,000 pounds bare bones and what? 60-70 horse power? They will do so much more than a compact tractor bu t the big thing....they are going cheap right now...10,000-15,000 for a reaaly nice machine.Bare bones of course.
Even the four wheel drive cab/extendahoe models which have the big resale are still cheap...the compact track loader/mini excavator combo is killing the full size backhoe market.so many got dumped back on the market when people got the CTL/mini...and not many people are buying...nows a good time to get a great deal and it will always hold its resale.
Those lil kubotas? never had one...cant afford it for what it does..Every land owner is drooling over those things and I don't think theres a deal to be found on them cause you will probably be standing in line to buy it.
Think about Corley5s idea.I back it 100%

47sawdust

X3 on the Case 580.They are good machines and will certainly out perform your targeted size and probably for less money.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

woodmills1

I bought a cat 1991 416b a few years ago for 15,000.  I am never going back, the thing is a small monster.  The bucket is heavy enough to grade, and it slices the sawdust off the driveway material.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

BargeMonkey

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 03, 2015, 04:08:25 PM
X3 on the Case 580.They are good machines and will certainly out perform your targeted size and probably for less money.
Decent looking 2wd open cab in the local paper here for 6k obo. They where simple to work on

Left Coast Chris

We picked up a used 2 WD Case 580D for $8k that was an ex city machine with 3500 hours on it.  It has done real well.  Look for auctions.  Gov and companies are getting rid of them due to the new diesel emissions standards.   It has enough weight and strong enough to dig out a tree but the hydraulics are no longer fast enough for competitive commercial use  = cheap.     Only down side is that it weighs in at 14k lbs.   Too big to haul with your pickup and car trailer.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

ScottAR

I did what these fellas are talking about several years ago now.  Case 580D.  Cab model weighs in at 15000.
Besides width it will fit nearly any place our 33hp tractor will go and do a lot more work when it gets there.

No matter how far the boom will reach it's always 2-4 feet too short.  After running a 14ft class machine the small ones just look maddening to me.  I know they have a place but it's mostly landscaping type stuff.  I'd suggest renting a big boy for a weekend and see what you can do with one. 

"What will do a lot will do a little, but what will only do a little won't do a lot."
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bert

For a small backhoe you cant beat the 110 Deere backhoe. It takes skid steer attachments on the front and great visibility for using forks.
Saw you tomorrow!

Bruno of NH

I have a MF 1560 cab tractor with a custom built by Bradco frame mount backhoe .
It's tough and diggs good but don't like having to get in and out all the time to move .
It has a thumb that works great .
A regular backhoe that you just turn the seat is a lot faster .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

jdonovan

Quote from: Leggman on May 01, 2015, 07:12:04 PM
I was thinking 25 to 40 HP would do it.

At the 25 hp side, you're looking at a terrmite, or a small CUT with a 3-point hoe... most of which are < 1000 lb lift.

On the 40 HP side, you're not yet to a deere 110 / kubota M59 which are 50-60 HP class and will lift/move 3000 lbs, and dig 11-12 feet.

I've got the M59 and there are no days I wish it were smaller. In fact there are many days I wish it was a 25,000 lbs excavator =).

Really depends on your task/needs. What do you need to move, how heavy, how far. Get some requirements together and let that decide the equipment sizing.

WH_Conley

I can't really comment on the smaller ones. I have a 710B John Deere. 105 Horse and weighs 21,000 pounds. The thing is a brute, will lift 30 crossties, that would be about 7,000 pounds. It is not for tight areas. As suggested before, look into renting for a weekend to make sure what you want. Sure would cut down on buyer remorse.
Bill

jaciausa

I bought a used 580E case $12,000- 15 years ago 5000 hours. I knew machine and owner. it is a 2 wheel drive. I originally was only in construction. If you are mechanically savvy or at least know how to acquire hydraulic lines, rebuild hydraulic cylinders and faithfully do PM, and install most parts you can do an extensive amount of work. I do not have aux Hydraulics but i am adding this to give it so much more utility for the timber,saw,load, construct parts of this business. I have forks that are easy on off that I purchased for off loading bunks of lumber, machinery,etc that really add value. I learnt PM the hard way and tore out the shuttle transmission. I had never ran one in my life when I purchased it. Learning to  run this machines backhoe to its capabilities, (SAFLEY), is a time consuming project but I think is the key. I do not think you could go wrong buying a full size backhoe for this business. It would need 4 wheel drive for any wet weather timber or landscaping work.

Thank You Sponsors!