iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choke cherry & Thorn Apple

Started by brianJ, May 01, 2015, 08:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

are the common names here in central New York.       A lot of reading the forum over the past fortnight leads me to guess a lot of the country uses buckthorn for choke cherry and maybe hawthorn for thornapple?    What are the local names everyone uses out there?  and are we talking about the same species?

thecfarm

The chokecherry that is in my area has a latin name of Prunus virginiana. Does not really grow much bigger than 6 inches.
Wife makes jam from the berries.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Buckthorn around here is the Common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)

brianj
Have you keyed out the ones you are trying to identify? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Much of the midwest calls hawthorn thornapple.  They are genus Crataegus and there are lots of species.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

We have choke cherry around here mostly along fencelines from birds spreading it, but unlike what thecfarm mentioned ours will be trees or at least big bushes if allowed to grow, sand cherries on the other hand will never get much bigger than 6-12".  They make good jam too  :), I can't say I've ever heard of thorn apple though.

brianJ

Beenthere Cfarm    My experience with id is mostly consists of what is crowding along the edges of our fields and thus what needs to be killed.    As for education mostly wikipedia and sometimes ask the locals.   So a more precisely pointed question would be how would I tell the difference between buckthorn and choke cherry?   Keeping in mind to my knowledge Ihave never seen buckthorn.

Buckeye   The township I grew up in had many pastures overgrown with Thornapple laced together with grape vines.   I thought that was the worst thing ever.  All but eliminated any control by hand.    Other areas in NYS much much less. Dont know why

Sandhill.   The one year I did wheat harvest I didnt see any thornapples/hawthorns.   Saw a lot of mesquite in TX, osage in OK KS, by the time we traveled to NE & Co  we were west enough not to see any trees.  Then finally in WY and MO we were west enough and high enough elevation pines were predominate.  Also saw cottonwood along any riparian areas the whole way thru.

WDH

Quote from: brianJ on May 14, 2015, 07:36:37 AM
So a more precisely pointed question would be how would I tell the difference between buckthorn and choke cherry?   

For one, buckthorn leaves are shiny and smooth on the margins.  Chokecherry leaves have fine teeth on the margins.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Mc

Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) also often referred to as "European Buckthorn" has fine teeth.
Glossy Buckthorn (Frangula alnus) has no teeth.

Common buckthorn is generally more widespread in the US
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jrose1970

Good thread! I was definitely mixed up. We have some (very few) hawthorn/buckthorns, but I was calling them chokecherries.  It would be nice if someone could post some pictures with fruit and leaves. (Of course, I looked it up on other sites.)
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

beenthere

jrose
Now you know, and we would like to see your pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

MN DNR page on Identifying Buckthorn

THe USDA Forest Service also has some good information on invasive plants here (check out the "fact sheets" link to find write ups on a number of plants). I've attached a pretty good write up they have on identifying Common and Glossy Buckthorn along with some basic information on control.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jrose1970

Yes, I see. LOL A picture is worth a thousand words.  I'm the world's most untechnical person. :)
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Thank You Sponsors!