iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Refrigerator is Broken

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 07, 2004, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We have 120 volts at the outlet. The light comes on. Is there a relay that might have gone bad from low voltage at the start of the power failure we had??? The fan does not run either. Seems that there is some kind of device that is bad, other than the compressor???  Finding a part here in Fl would be futile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

I don't know the first dang thing about refrigerators.  Mine has a high start capicitor, I thought it might be that.  I pulled it out from the wall, unhooked the capicitor, and while the compressor didn't work, the fans and the light did.  If anyone knows and will tell me though I'll get you one asap, I don't care what it is or how much it cost.  Somebody just let me know.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

etat

Ps, still thing you're a dang fool fer riding out that storm. ???  I am extremely happy that you, and about everybody else didn't get blowed away! 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

We just lead an adventuresome lifestyle. ::) ;) ;)  Really appreciate yer concern.  The traffic was bad. It took 15 hours to make a 3 hour trip to Jacksonville. I did NOT want to get caught out in the open.

This next storm however, I MAY show up for some roofin lessons. ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

Heck come on down anytime.   We'll let Kenny do the roofing, I'm SURE we can find more important things to do! 8) 8) 8)

etat

This may or MAY not help.  Just something I found.

'Nothing comes on at all, not even the light
Recently we lost our power because of hurricane Floyd. The power was off for five days. We have and older Westinghouse side-by-side refrigerator down in our garage. Unfortunately, we lost everything in the refrigerator. When I finished cleaning it out and tried to start it back up, there was nothing. There seems to be no electricity coming into the refrigerator. I am sure it is not the outlet. I replaced the bulb in the refrigerator to see if it would work, but it did not. It used to work before. Could you please give me some hints as to what the problem could be. Maybe it would be one that my husband and I could fix. If not, I think it is a goner. Thank you for your help.

Most of the time when not even the light comes on and there is power to the outlet it's just a simple matter of replacing the cord.'

Fla._Deadheader

C'mon, there MUST be someone that can offer some insight. My ice cream is meltin  ::) ::) HALP
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

If I eat too fast the spoon gets hot and the ice cream melts faster ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

my offer still stands.  I just need a part number or an idea of what Fla needs and I'll get it to him.  

sprucebunny

Saws and things have a "reset" button but I never heard about them on 'fridges. Check for excess dirt on coils?
Did ya give it a "love tap"?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Old_Town

I agree that the capacitor is probably open. If the compressor is locked it can sometimes be freed by applying 240 V (by a qualified person) the inrush of over-voltage can break loose a frozen compressor. (typically in older units 10 yrs. plus.) applying an over voltage can cause severe damage to electronic controls on newer units.

Gilman

Deadheader.
Sounds like your thermal switch might have went out. Since both the pump and fan aren't working. I'd check that first with a voltmeter.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Fla._Deadheader

Gilman, what's it look like ??? Checked for a reset and "rocked" the fridge to jolt it ??? It may have been the compressor trying to restart with head pressure and not enough voltage to get it "over the top" ???  When we plug it into the outlet, it doesn't trip the breaker or make any noise whatsoever ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gilman

If I were desperate, I'd jump the thermal couple and then plug it in.  At least then you won't loose the freezer contents.  You'll obviously have to watch the temperature and unplug it, but you don't want to waste all those copperheads you've butchered.

Be careful with the wiring.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ScottAR

www.repairclinic.com/     They have diagrams and troubleshoots for most models...   I use them for everything but dishwasher parts cuz I just get a new dishwasher anymore.   There aren't any under $500 or so that are worth repairing...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

isawlogs

Sorry to hear about your ice cream .... Harold I'm glad to hear ya made it alwright ...  I don 't know anything about fridge  , had mine quit on me last week had the fridgeman in and all he changed on it was the timer .... The comp. would not start but the fan and light worked . Hope you have help with the ice cream cause I'm sure that this isn't helping much
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bruce_A

Sometimes the temp control inside will build up and a good cleaning will start it up again.  Occasionally just atwist is needed to see if that will work.

dave7191

Check the defrost timer  if it quite when it was on defrost it wouldn't turn anything execpt the light on  It should be under the frige most are twards the front, behind the kick plate

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Dave, I'll check that. Appreciate all the help guys. We DID put 199 volts to the power cord for a split second, 2 different times. That did not help at all. :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

Harold,
First off, get a big spoon.  It sounds like your going to need it.

All kidding aside we are glad this is the worst of your challenges.

Do you have any access to the wires going into the compressor?  If you do, you can jumper into them with 120 to see if the compressor is locked up.  If after jumping directly to the compressor it comes on, then you now have to identify what componant sends power to the compressor.  The only thing I can think of that does that is the temp control or defrost controls.

We did this on our fridge three years ago and it turned out to be a bad switch on the temp controls.  We had lights but no compressor.  Jumped the compressor and she ran like a top.

Other than that I have no other ideas.

Good luck.

Kirk

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

So, any update on the fridge?  

Last post had a smiley face so I assume you got it fixed?   If so, what was the problem.

Kirk

woodhaven

OOPS,
If I am not to late we can set up a phone call and I will walk you through finding the problem. Sorry I hadn't seen this sooner.
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Richard. We just power back on. I will contact you for that walk-through. Really appreciate all the ideas, guys. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

She's ALIVE  8) 8) 8)  We decided to play with every thing that resembled something to do with operating the fridge. Took the whole backside off, checked ALL connectors and wires. Ed looked inside the box and found a small side-to-side switch. He flipped it and saw a small "X" shaped potentiometer looking button. He stuck his fingernail into it and turned it and the beast came to life  8) 8) Even getting cold  8) 8)

Thanks to all for the ideas and support. Maybe we can help someone in the future.
   First, it is ridiculed;

dave7191

that sounds like the defrost timer just make sure it is working if it isn't it will freeze it up so it can't blow the cold through the unit

etat

Cool........I mean Cold............I mean Freezing  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tagerts_crossing

FDH That is most likely the defrost timer it will cycle every 14 hours and probably not cycle out of defrost anymore. You can keep jumping it out like you did with your finger for several days till you can get a chance to fix.  After a while the evaperator will get a build up of ice and not cool very well (that will happen quicker in a humid climate).  Find a mom and pop appl. store and should be able to get one for less than $10.00. They are really not too model dependent most are interchangeable with most brands.  There are really only 2 or 3 for all models and sizes.   Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I don't use the computer at home very often and I don't sign in at work (just look as guest).   John.                                                                                                                                                                               P.S.  I am not an expert but have worked at a refrigerator factory for over 10 years,  if you can't find a timer let me know I will send you one.
John Schoolcraft

Thank You Sponsors!