iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slow Satellite Internet

Started by Alligator, April 30, 2015, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alligator

I have read a couple of places about slow satellite internet, and poor reception. I am am IT Project Manager / Engineer and have in the past had satellite internet. There is one thing you can do about the reception. Rain-X your dish. When the water coats the dish it doesn't reflect as well as it reflects off bare metal. {same for satellite TV which I do still have} As for speed, check it and see if you are getting what you were promised. www.acssi.net The black rectangle Speed Test. {it's down for maintenance tonight} Satellite has one inherent delay of 2 seconds. A half second up and a half second down to send your request, and then a half second up and a half second down for it to return, but once the stream starts it should be reasonable fast. That's how long it takes the signal to travel into space to the satellite. All satellite internet companies that I have dealt with throttle automatically when you reach a certain MB count they slow your connection down. If you have satellite internet it's probably your only option, it was mine from 1993 to 2005. The answer to throttling is "conserve". But, you should yell and scream if the speed isn't what you were promised. Some times it works.   
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

yukon cornelius

Thanks for that info. we have satellite and yes its the only option here. I feel it works fairly well. in 2 years we have only maxed it out and that was around last Christmas. I had listened to Christmas music on youtube for 3 days straight. the downside is the weather. when a storm comes I like to watch the weather maps and the storm shuts it down.  its way better than dial up
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!