iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new 661

Started by CX3, April 29, 2015, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Well as you know from my last post a while back I was torn between the 395 and 661. I went with the 661 and am well pleased. I've cut around 30mbf this week and can say stihl hit the mark. This thing smokes a 660.

Well pleased with this saw.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

sandsawmill14

glad to here that I've been thinking about a 661 but wasnt sure about it smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

OldTimbercutter

I couldn't decide between a 461 and a 661 but have settled on the 661, just havnt pulled the trigger yet.

Is yours a lot smoother to run than the 660 ? How many pulls to start on average ? How hard is it on fuel?

I havn't bought a new saw in a while . Always  just rebuild them and have a pile of parts  ,  but I am excited to try this saw will probably order one next week .
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

Pine Ridge

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ???
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Lumberjack84

I personally really like the new MS661C. I've been using one for about a month now. It has the power of an ms660 and the quick rev of an ms460, which makes it a great combination for felling and topping.   And because it's got an electronic controlled carb, it seems to run pretty smoothly.  I've cut hundreds of fairly large hardwoods without any issues with the saw.  As for longevity and durability,  time will tell. I personally think that the legendary MS660 Magnum is better built, but I definitely like how the MS661C runs and how comfortable it feels in hand.
Stihl: MS661C, MS660, (3) MS460,  MS361

CX3

My saw has had about 35 tanks ran through it or so. It starts easy just like it should. I can have 3 or 4 trees cut and topped before my hired hand gets his husky started :)

The kill switch automatically goes back to start position after shutting it off. You'd be surprised how handy that is. Nice option.

I can cut and delimb 6 17dbh red oaks on a tank. It idles smooth and revs fast. It's obviously a bit heavier than my standby 460/461 but it's worth it. If it holds up as far as toughness my truck will be full of them.

It does still have the old style air filter. It gets full pretty quick and needs tapped out a couple times a day.  Stihl needs improvement in that area

Overall great investment so far
You Better Believe It!

beenthere

CX3
QuoteThe kill switch automatically goes back to start position after shutting it off. You'd be surprised how handy that is. Nice option.

That is how my new MS362 is as well. And I really like that feature. Like you, found very handy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

I'm also supposed to pick up a new 661CM today.  I guess we're keeping Stihl in business.  Now I have 3 saws- a 16" Poulan That I've used around the farm for years to keep mulberries in check, a Stihl 090 for my Alaskan mill that I haven't used yet, all a recent acquisition, and now a real saw with the 661 with a 25 inch bar.  If I need to buck larger than that will do, I can use the 090 powerhead with a 36" bar I have for it. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Pine Ridge

cx3 your gonna eat up all the profit if it takes 35 tanks of fuel to cut and trim 3 or 4 trees . :D
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

CX3

Well we've been in a patch of veneer Bradford pear trees. Those things really work a big saw. But the wallet gets fat after a triple decker of those butt logs get sold. Mmmm mmmmm
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!